Management unaware on state of data centre security
McAfee released the results of a survey conducted by Gabriel Consulting Group (GCG), an independent analyst firm, showing a serious disconnect between security perceptions and reality among IT Enterprise security managers.
The survey found that 60 percent of respondents reported that management believes security is stronger than it actually is, while only 22 percent reported that management is aware of their company’s true security preparedness.
Dan Olds, Principal Analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group said that it is astounding that almost two-thirds of respondents say that their management is in the dark about their true security status. He added that this finding should cause a lot of thought both in the executive suite and in the data centre.
“Management needs to seek out the truth when it comes to IT security, and data centre management needs to be frank and honest when discussing the strengths and weaknesses of their security mechanisms. Obviously, it is far better to discuss potential security issues before they are exposed by a breach.”
The 2011 Data Centre Security Survey focused on security issues and solutions among 147 enterprise data centre mangers responsible for data centres of all sizes.
“We review at all times whether the security quotient of the company on all fronts is adequate, look at emerging threats, gear up for the challenges and inform the management on a regular basis,” said Satish Warrier, CISO, Godrej Industries.
The survey also found that nearly half of the respondents feel that virtualization and private cloud require unique security measures but that most respondents are using the same tools to secure both physical and virtual systems.
That study said that more than 40 percent of respondents felt that their organization’s security pace was not keeping up with threats. Another 40 percent of respondents said that the day-to-day security does not meet the standards required by their official policies.
- Skybox Finds Cryptomining Malware Now Dominates Threat landscape
- Know Before Getting Your Cloud Architecture In Shape
- CISOs Should Help In Building Digital Trust With Consumers, Says Study
- Battling Cyber Risks With Intelligent Automation
- Ensuring A Secured Blockchain Ecosystem
- Cyber GCCs In India At The Cusp Of Transformation
- Have We Learnt A Lesson From Facebook-Cambridge Analytica Crisis?
- Firms Unable To Cope With Security Skill Gap, Vendor Sprawl: Study
- Why VPN Services Are Getting More And More Popular
- 5 Ways To Create A CX-First Culture For Executives