Meet Microsoft’s New Cloud Head: Scott Guthrie
As Satya Nadella moves ahead to lead Microsoft as the CEO, his earlier post was filled up by Microsoft technologist Scott Guthrie. Already respected in the technology circle, Scott Guthrie has been appointed to lead the company’s cloud and enterprise group. Previously he was the executive vice president of the group.
Microsoft in a statement has described Guthrie’s new role is as “acting lead of cloud and enterprise,” suggesting that the appointment may be temporary.
While some in the industry may wonder who Guthrie is, a long-time Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley sums up in Tech Crunch: “Guthrie, known for wearing red polo shirts during his public Microsoft speaking appearances, moved from being the Corporate Vice President of the .Net platform in the Developer Division, to head the Azure Application Platform team in the Business Platform Division in May 2011. He has been a major advocate for developers and has made a priority integrating open-source tools and technologies into the Microsoft stack.”
Guthrie, is also a popular figure at developer events, and has spoken in several international forums, according to his blog. He ran a development team that worked on products and technologies such as Windows Azure, BizTalk and Visual Studio Tools for Web, Web Services and Workflow. Reports also suggest he is an avid blogger and lives in Seattle.
Guthrie graduated with a degree in computer science from Duke University.
With Cloud Guru Nadella stepping in to head Microsoft and with his team’s expertise in the Cloud domain, and a tech evangelist like Guthrie expected to lead the Cloud division, experts believe there’s a clear opportunity in the cloud.
Suggesting that the software giant can make waves across industry with Cloud, CNET Senior Editor Dan Ackerman in his article: “It’s a clear vote for remote and cloud computing as a major part of [Microsoft's] future” at a time when PC sales are lagging, said.
- Cloud For IT Transformation: 5 Facts CIOs Should Know
- Datamato Bets On AI, IoT; Focuses On Newer Markets
- Delving Into The ABC Of Cyber Security
- Cloud Computing Driving Innovation For Next Generation
- Insider Threats and Its Impact On Data Security
- 6 Jobs Artificial Intelligence Is Replacing Soon
- Oracle's Thomas Kurian Outlines Future Of Enterprise Cloud
- Cognitive Computing: An Essential Science In HR
- What's Stopping Banks From Embracing Latest Technologies?
- Blockchain, Distributed Ledgers Will Take Time To Mature: Gartner