Micromax Beats Apple In Indian Tablet Market
In a record move, Micromax has overtaken Apple to reach the number two spot in the tablet market in India, with 14 percent market share in the second quarter. Research firm IDC confirms that strong performance in Q2 enabled Micromax to overtake Apple, further strengthening its foothold in the domestic market. With 9 percent market share, Apple now stands at the third spot, with over 60 percent of its overall iPad volume is being supported by iPad mini. With 19 percent market share, Samsung continues to occupy the first spot, as majority of its volume being driven by sub $200 voice calling tablets, according to the research firm.
The tablet market in India indicated early signs of recovery in Q2 2014 after taking a sharp hit in the past couple of quarters, says IDC. It stands at 0.86million units in Q2 2014 i.e. a quarter-on-quarter growth of 9 percent over Q1 2014.
“This recovery was fuelled by multiple factors. Business sentiments have shown improvement post elections and near term prospects are anticipated to remain better too. Further, traditional PC OEMs have started making big inroads in the tablet market and most of this success is led by leveraging their vast expanded reach through multiple distribution points,” says Karan Thakkar, Senior Market Analyst, IDC India.
Android continues to be the most preferred Operating system. With 89.6 percent market share Android is expected to sail above 80 percent mark over the next few years. Windows OS is gaining ground too. However, much of these volumes are currently being driven by the spurt in enterprise buying.
Tablets with screen size 7 to 8 inch contributed to 88 percent of the overall market in Q2 CY2014. IDC expects dominance of the aforementioned screen size to continue. However on the low volume side, tablets with screen size 10 to 11 inch grew by 54 percent in Q2 CY2014.
- Top 10 Tech Acquisitions In 2017 So Far
- What Makes Samsung Bullish On India Market?
- 4 Big Data Trends To Watch In 2018
- Infor Looks To Triple Its India Revenue By 2020
- 5 Things To Expect If Bitcoins Are Legalized In India
- What Makes SHAREit So Bullish On India Market
- Alibaba Sees India As Significant Market In Its Global Strategy
- Has Demonetization Improved India's Digital Transactions?
- Tablet Shipments to Rise by 0.3% In 2018 After 4 Years of Decline: Study
- What Makes Apple So Bullish About India