Windows 10: What's Beyond The Free Upgrade
Positioning Windows as a Service, Microsoft released Windows 10 which will be available today as a free upgrade or with new PCs and tablets across 190 countries.
Windows 10 includes innovations such as Cortana, an Xbox app and Microsoft Edge for a familiar, yet more personal and productive experience.
It offers universal experience that will become available on the broadest range of devices, including PCs, tablets, phones, Raspberry Pi, Xbox One, HoloLens and more — with more than 2,000 devices or configurations already in testing.
Sounding optimistic about labelling it as ‘best Windows ever’, Bhaskar Pramanik, Chairman, Microsoft India said, “Windows 10 is the best Windows ever. It is more personal and more productive. It’s safer and more secure. And it’s familiar and always up to date. In India, more than 1500 retail stores across the country will help consumers move up to Windows 10. I am excited that many Indian and multinational partners are ready to offer a variety of Windows 10 devices.”
“Rich features, enhanced user experience, multi-tasking with live tiles and better productivity make Windows 10 a great fit for us. Windows 10 is the most secure Windows Microsoft has ever released, with enhancements to Windows Defender and SmartScreen to help safeguard against viruses, malware and phishing. New innovations like Windows Hello offer a fast, secure, password-free way to log in. Windows 10 aims to provide the best of touch and keyboard modes, giving an absolutely seamless flow between devices, helping increase productivity,” says Sudeep Jit Singh DGM – IT Solutions, Tata Communications.
Windows 10 is fast and familiar - with the return of the Start menu and Live Tiles for instant, streaming updates of what matters most. It is considered the most secure Windows Microsoft has ever released, with enhancements to Windows Defender and SmartScreen to help safeguard against viruses, malware and phishing, and innovations such as Windows Hello, which offers a fast, secured, password-free way to log in.
“We are fascinated with the enhanced information security, application portability and device management features coming up with Windows 10. This will enable us to rollout out BYOD even for laptops in addition to smart devices along with Microsoft Enterprise Mobility Suite,” said Mandar Marulkar Vice President – Chief Information Officer, KPIT.
“One of the critical changes the company has made is to position Windows as a platform and bring to life Windows-as-a-service. To make this change real, the company has put in place is the Windows Insider Program to help gain feedback from millions of actual consumers and enterprises while the product is still in beta stage. This should help reduce bugs and hence the need for multiple patches post release. Specifically for consumers, the company has a significant focus on the UI gestures and multi-tasking in Windows 10. This is particularly helpful in a cramped screen real estate and will help Microsoft gain momentum in the multi-screen play, says Sanchit Vir Gogia Chief Analyst & Group CEO, Greyhound Research.
“New innovations like Windows Hello offer a fast, secure, password-free way to log in. Windows 10 aims to provide the best of touch and keyboard modes, giving an absolutely seamless flow between devices, helping increase productivity,” said Sudeep Jit Singh.
Other new features include:
* Cortana, the personal digital assistant, makes it easy to find the right information at the right time. “More specifically, Cortana can well be expected to become a critical part for consumers – albeit not the first in its class, Microsoft’s approach is unique to how it can be used in the broader Windows environment,” said Gogia.
* New Microsoft Edge browser lets people quickly browse, read, and mark up and share the Web.
* The integrated Xbox app delivers the Xbox experience to Windows 10, bringing together friends, games and accomplishments across Xbox One and Windows 10 devices.
* Continuum optimizes apps and experiences beautifully across touch and desktop modes.
* Built-in apps including Photos; Maps; Microsoft’s new music app, Groove; and Movies & TV offer entertainment and productivity options. With OneDrive, files can be easily shared and kept up-to-date across all devices.
* A Microsoft Phone Companion app enables iPhones, Android or Windows phones to work seamlessly with Windows 10 devices.
The all new Office Mobile apps for Windows 10 tablets are available today in the Windows Store4. More information on Upgrade Your World can be found at http://www.windows.com/upgradeyourworld.
- Microsoft Brings AI Powered Update To Bing
- Stratus Unveils Edge Computing Strategy
- 5 Supply Chain Management Trends for 2018
- Microsoft India Cybersecurity Center Aids 126 Organizations
- Yes Bank Automates Field Sales Processes Using Kaizala
- How Big Data Can Combat Child Trafficking
- Mixed Reality, AI, Quantum Computing To Bring Massive Shift: Satya Nadella
- What Makes Apple So Bullish About India
- ITAM Aims To Reduce Software Spends Of CIOs
- Digital Recruiting Is Reducing Hiring Challenges: Study