Microsoft, FB, Apple Bridge Gender Pay Gap
A growing number of tech companies are claiming they pay their male and female employees equally, following pressure from an investment firm to disclose salary data. Microsoft said in recent blog post that its female employees earn 99.8 cents for every $1 earned by a man with the same job title. Facebook and Apple too reveal they pay their employees equally - thereby closing the gender gap.
“Equal Pay Day”. Equal Pay Day was originated by the National Committee on Pay Equity (NCPE) in 1996, ”as a public awareness event to illustrate the gap between men’s and women’s wages.” The date, April 12, was originally chosen to symbolize how far into the year women must work to earn what men earned in the previous year.
Companies like Facebook and Microsoft have been pushed to talk about their pay data by the Massachusetts-based investment firm Arjuna Capital, which filed shareholder proposals requesting the salary information, according to the Wall Street Journal. Other tech companies that have said they offer equal pay to men and women after Arjuna’s requests, including Amazon, Intel, Alphabet and Apple.
However, there remains a large disparity in the number of male and female workers at the tech giants. Sixty-eight percent of Facebook’s workforce at male, while at Microsoft the figure climbs to 73%.
Besides, another study contradicts the current one. Job recruiting startup Hired released new data on its findings of equal pay in Silicon Valley, and found that companies on average offer women 3 percent less than men for the same roles. The data—which spans technology, sales and marketing roles—shows that 69% of the time, men receive higher salary offers than women for the same job title at the same company.
It’s difficult to determine whether this is a symptom of unconscious gender bias in the hiring process or results from an ongoing cycle of women being underpaid, setting their salary expectations too low, and ultimately receiving less in subsequent roles, the report author said.
- 5 Ways To Increase RoI From ERP Implementation
- How to Ensure Your IT Startup Investment Turns Profitable?
- 3 Things To Know Before You Land A Tech Job
- Cyber Threats Cost Indian Cos Upto USD 10.3 Mn In Economic Losses
- Can 5G Wave Save The Dwindling Global Smartphone Market In 2019?
- How Businesses Can Counter New Forms Of Cyber Threats In 2019
- How Companies Can Walk The Talk On Gender Diversity
- The Biggest Tech Acquisitions Of All Time
- Why Banks Alone Can't Handle Digital Payments Landscape
- Google+ To Close Down After Massive Data Breach Exposed