Microsoft invites Indian developers for global developer contest - 'Dev Unplugged'
Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) recently launched the developer contest- Dev Unplugged, for the web developers worldwide to push the limits of a modern browser without the use of plug-ins. Coupled with faster browsers, HTML5 and related technologies, developers need to use the tools and create vivid and interactive experiences, in two categories gaming and music.
“With India emerging as a key hub of software talent, we believe this contest is the right platform to inspire, infuse, empower and encourage this segment. Considering the event’s global and grand scale, I will encourage the Indian developer audience to maximize opportunities that Dev Unplugged offers,” remarked Hemant Sachdev, MD, consumer and online, Microsoft India.
The company stated that, for gaming, developers have been invited to create games that are fun and addictive. The company has partnered with Mike Mignola, creator of Hellboy, whose creations will be available to developers during this contest, and can be incorporated in their HTML5 game.
Similarly, in the music category, developers are encouraged to create applications that discover new ways to experience music online. Microsoft has arranged for two bands ‘Boy’ by Ra Ra Riot and ‘Sail’ by Awolnation to provide tracks to help developers.
The company informed that contest starts with a 5 week window for private submission; after which these submissions will open to the public for voting favorites. Basis this, a list of 40 finalists will be announced and referred for review to the panel of judges, which includes experts in HTML5, design and user experience. The panel of judges which includes names like Dion Almaer, Ben Galbraith, Remy Sharp, Grant Skinner, Rob Ford and Robert Nyman will judge the top-40 finalists.
The prizes include:
• $40,000 in total prizes including $9,000 for the Grand Prize.
• Front page exposure on theFWA.com and beautyoftheweb.com
• Cool hardware: laptops and slates from Alienware, HP and ASUS
• An all-expense paid trip to the Future of Web Apps Las Vegas with ‘golden ticket’ VIP access.
The developers also stand to win grand prizes in categories such as:
• Most Innovative Use of Geolocation
• Most Innovative Design/UX
• Most Innovative Use of Pinned Sites
• Most Innovative Use of Canvas & SVG.
The contest has opened on March 1st.April 5th being the date when submission gallery opens to the public and voting begins!The last date for submission is May 9th.May 12th will see top-40 finalists being announced. While May 23rd will be the day when winners will be announced!
- Collaboration Is Powering Modern Enterprise, Government
- Autonomous Database: Next Big Thing In The Indian Market
- How Businesses Can Ensure A Smooth Transition To GST
- Flipkart, ASUS Announce Long-Term Partnership For India Market
- Indian Life Insurers Partner with Cognizant to Develop Blockchain Solution
- Tata Comm To Help CII With Digital Transformation
- Microsoft To Invest $5-Bn On IoT Globally; Bullish On India
- F Secure Is Growing Much Faster Than The Market
- GDPR: Adequacy Principle for Indian IT
- Four Reasons For Indian Enterprises To Move To SIP