MNP To Be Rolled Out Nationally By March 2015
The Indian government expects to implement nationwide mobile number portability (MNP) by March 31, 2015. The move will allow subscribers to shift their mobile service on to the network of any telecom operator throughout the country without changing their cellphone number.
“The national mobile number portability service is likely expected to be implemented by March 31, 2015,” telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said in a reply in the Lok Sabha early this week.
The department of telecom (DoT) has asked for Telecom Regulatory Authority of India’s (TRAI) view on additional entry fee, performance bank guarantee and bank financial guarantee to be charged from existing MNP service providers, says a PTI report.
The telcom regulator asked the department of telecom not to make any changes in entry fee and bank guarantee of companies involved in managing MNP service due to various reasons.
Presently the facility of MNP is restricted to the licensed service area (LSA) only. Currently, only two companies Syniverse Technologies and MNP Interconnection Telecom Solution, operate to provide mobile number portability service. TRAI said that these companies have still around five years before their license validity expires. It has submitted its reply to DoT on July 21 which will be placed before inter-ministerial panel telecom commission for its consideration, the agency report says.
The regulator in its recommendation has said that telecom operators and MNP service providers should be given six months time to make necessary technical changes in their network to start nationwide mobile number portability service.
- Enterprise Networks: Things To Focus On In 2018
- Looking At The World Through A Digital Lens
- Xiaomi To Make Fresh Investments, Set Up More Plants In India
- Customer-Facing Web, Mobile Apps Pose Highest Security Risk: Study
- Trai Backs Net Neutrality; Will RJio, Airtel Stand To Gain?
- CISOs, Beware Of Crime-as-a-Service, IoT Threats In 2018
- Ericsson Forecasts 1 Billion 5G Subscriptions By 2023
- What Makes SHAREit So Bullish On India Market
- How Shalimar Paints Is Weaving Its Digital Story
- The Enterprise Gains From Micro Frontend