MobileTV viewing in India grows exponentially: study
Watching television on the go seems to be the most preferred past-time for Indians today. MobileTV saw a whopping 65% jump in traffic experienced by Bharti Airtel, a mobile service provider, over the last year.
This was revealed by Bharti Airtel, in the results of the 4th edition of Airtel Mobitude survey for the year 2012.
The survey is conducted every year and it details its 186 million-plus customers’ preferences.
The survey also showed that most users of MobileTV watch the IPL with a jump of 46% over user numbers in 2011. The traction seen by MobileTV reinforces India’s growing demand for data driven services that help customers get their dose of the best and latest in entertainment.
On the data side, maximum data consumption on mobile internet is typically seen during the graveyard shift between 10pm – 11pm. The Airtel mobile internet usage pattern indicates growing customer preference for social networking, looking at pictures, downloading applications, playing games, listening to music, reading news and watching videos.
Overall, Facebook, Google and Yahoo were most accessed websites. Google is most visited website in terms of Unique Users, while Facebook leads all sites with almost 10 times page views and data consumption.
An average of 3 million downloads on Airtel App Central were recorded every month. With 90% downloads in the ‘Free’ category, customers show a preference for the ‘freemium’ model. While 65% of application downloads are games, other popular categories including social networking, video and music players, sports, health and other entertainment.
“Over the last four years, Airtel Mobitude has captured the behaviour of the mobile consumers to provide real insights on customer preference for sports and entertainment. The data reveals an exciting picture of India’s love for movies, music, gaming and social networking. The study also brings to light India’s increasing dependence on smart devices and data usage as they access a whole host of new services on the go,” said N Rajaram, Chief Marketing Officer – Consumer Business, Bharti Airtel.
Bharti Airtel had over 264 million customers across its operations at the end of October 2012.
- Home Automation Is The Next Big Thing, And Here Already!
- There's Potential To Unlock USD 50-Bn in India's Online Commerce
- Can Google Make A Successful Comeback In China?
- Digital Firms In India Can Achieve USD 39 Bn Exports By 2022: Study
- Here's Why The Voice-First Strategy Will Rule
- Here's What Businesses Without HTTPS Should Know This July
- What Google's Foray Into E-Commerce Means For India
- Have We Learnt A Lesson From Facebook-Cambridge Analytica Crisis?
- Ex-SoftBank Executive Nikesh Arora Joins Palo Alto As CEO
- Here's A Way To Protect Yourself Against Manipulated 'Fake News'