Need For Widening The Scope Of IT Act 2000
From high profile targeted attacks on prominent personalities and strategic establishment to a spurt in ransomware, the year 2016 marked an exponential rise in cyber crimes in India. While the government’s push for digitization moving the country towards less cash economy, it is also opened up many doors of vulnerability to cyber criminals. Against the backdrop of increasing complexities in the current threat landscape, cyber security, which is largely considered as a part of IT, is rapidly emerging as a separate industry which requires to be addressed with a different mindset.
While Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT- In), the apex body which tackles cyber crime related issues have inked several crucial MoUs with countries such as the US and has extended collaboration with tech majors like Microsoft, there is an urgent need to strengthen the existing cyber law to deal the cyber crimes in a more efficient way.
Taking a serious note of the potential threat of state sponsored cyber attacks, the Indian government is now mulling crucial amendments in the existing Information Technology Act 2000. These amendments are not only focused on giving an extended definition of the term ‘cyber crime’ in a context of current scenario, but to strengthen the present cyber security architecture in the country.
Advocate Prashant Mali, one of the eminent cyber law experts in India strongly feels that after the last amendment in the IT Act in 2008, now its a right time to make crucial changes in the existing act. Mali also says that considering the pace at which the cyber security industry evolves and the new threat varient come up, there should be a regular review of the existing act.
In an exclusive interaction with CXO Today, Advocate Prashant Mali,who is also the President Of Cyber Law Consulting (Advocates & Attorneys) shares crucial recommendations for the proposed amendments in the IT Act 2000.
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Feb 19-24)
- Chatbots Making Inroads In The Enterprise
- AI Raises Serious Security Concerns, Say Researchers
- Fynd Uses Technology To Raise Its Style Quotient
- Business Intelligence In Insurance Industry: What Are The Possibilities?
- Cybercrime To Worsen; More Sleepless Nights For CISOs
- Emerging Tech To Drive Enterprise Digital Transformation
- Study Reveals Why CISO Should Report To The CEO
- India's Top 10 Innovative Companies For 2018
- E-Retailing To Grow By 2.5 Times In 3 Years: Crisil