Netbook Fastest Growing PC Segment in 2009
With the arrival of netbooks as a competing PC platform, the explosion of social media networking for both business and personal use and the rise of smart grid technology are among the emerging themes of 2009.
As per the latest Deloitte’s 2009 global predictions for the technology industry, the netbook, also known as the mini-notebook, is likely to be the fastest growing PC segment in 2009.
V. Srikumar, country leader-technology media & telecommunications, Deloitte Haskins & Sells, said, "The results are based on survey done on 50 TMT executives worldwide besides conversations with clients, and through discussions with industry analysts."
The Technology Media and Telecommunications (TMT) Industry Group of Deloitte is done on an yearly basis and has now rolled out its 2009 Predictions technology, media and telecommunications report series.
According to Deloitte, the momentum behind netbooks should grow, with new models offering better processors and improved hard drives. Although netbooks have the potential to threaten PC and other subsectors’ margins, careful market development and expanded applications offer significant opportunities as well.
PC manufacturers should consider the market for premium netbooks, with producers of operating systems developing products designed specifically for netbooks. Other technology companies should take advantage of the inexpensive, low-power central processing units (CPUs) of netbooks, with home-media systems, digital video recorders and game consoles capitalizing on the new CPUs, the report said.
Already, wireless carriers are looking to subsidize netbooks as a way to lock in wireless data subscribers. Netbooks can also be used by office workers instead of conventional PCs and even replace field force worker’s clipboards or PDAs.
- How AR-VR Is Changing The World Of Advertising
- Smart City Mission: Tier II-III Cities Take the Lead
- CISOs Should Help In Building Digital Trust With Consumers, Says Study
- The Talent Imperatives In A Digital World
- Here's Why The Voice-First Strategy Will Rule
- How AI-ML Are Fueling Video Editing Innovations
- Global Device Shipments To See Flat Growth This Year: Gartner
- Smart Cities And Iot To Offer Big Business In India
- How Smart Cities Of The Future Can Get Smarter
- Firms That Offer Human-Like AI Experiences Can Win Customers: Study