Netflix To Air Its First Original Series For India
Netflix, a global provider of streaming films and television series has struck its first deal to air an original series from India, one of the 190 nations where its service was launched in January. The series is based on Vikram Chandra’s best-selling novel Sacred Games and will be produced in partnership with Phantom Films.
The Sacred Games series will be available for subscribers globally, according to a Netflix statement. Set in Mumbai, Sacred Games is a thriller that explores the underground world that lies below the glitz.
“I’m confident that all the colour and vitality and music of the fictional world I’ve lived with for so long will come fully alive on the large-scale canvas provided by Netflix,” says Vikram Chandra.
“We are very happy to start this journey with Netflix by producing Vikram’s outstanding story, set in Mumbai ” said Madhu Mantena of Phantom Films.
“We are delighted to partner with creative powerhouse, Phantom Films, to bring Vikram Chandra’s epic novel to life with the best Indian and global film talent available today,” said Erik Barmack, vice president of international original series at Netflix.
“Sacred Games reinforces our commitment to bring the authenticity of local stories to Netflix members across 190 countries worldwide”, he added.
Netflix launched its video streaming service in India in January. The US-based company, which has over 7.5 crore subscribers worldwide, wants to make inroads into the Indian market by going local in every possible way, and that includes producing Bollywood movies.
Netflix found tremendous success with original shows like “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black”, and has made an effort to replicate that in other markets including India. Netflix also bagged exclusive rights to premiere “Brahman Naman”, a comedy title from cult favourite Indian director Qaushiq Mukherjee earlier this year.
- Altaf Halde Steps Down; Kaspersky Lab Appoints New GM
- The 10 Best Companies For Women In India
- Delving Into The ABC Of Cyber Security
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- Ola Vs Uber And The Battle Of Dominance In India
- Facebook India MD Umang Bedi Resigns
- AMD Plans Expansion In India, To Hire 500 Engineers: Report
- How Option3 Is Creating a Winning Strategy For Its Startup Biz
- Keysight Gears Up For 5G, High-Speed Datacenters In India
- Outsourcing To India Is A Suitable Option For Another 3 Decades: Study