New TRAI regulations for wireless data services
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has on Tuesday released The Standards of Quality of Service for Wireless Data Services Regulations, 2012.
The regulations which will come into effect from January 1, 2013, TRAI has mandated that every cellular mobile telephone service provider or Unified Access Services provider must set up a test set up comprising servers and test probes to cover the entire geographical area of coverage of different data services in the licensed service area.
The service providers are required to meet the Quality of Service benchmarks for the wireless data services in respect of parameter such as:
(a) Provision or activation of Data Services,
(b) Successful data transmission download/upload attempts from a test server,
(c) Minimum download speed from a test server covering all tariff plans,
(d) Average Throughput for Packet data from a test server for all tariff plans,
(e) Latency for data services from a test server,
(f) PDP Context Activation Success Rate,
(g) Data Drop rate.
It has also been mandated that service providers have to publish on its website, the details of all data services offered, along with their tariff, clearly indicating the cities and towns where such data services and tariff plans are applicable. The service providers are not to offer new data services or modify the existing data services or tariff (s) without prior publication on its website.
- CXOs Struggling To Turn Digital Strategies into Performance
- For Most Firms, Digital Workplace Is Still Distant Dream : Gartner
- The Digital Messiah: Inside Accenture's Innovation Hub
- How Robo-Advisors Are Disrupting Financial Services
- Edge Computing Drives Internet Of Thing's Growth: Study
- Indus OS To Become Default Platform For Internet Content: CTO
- How Businesses Can Generate Insights From IOT Devices
- Iris Global On Expansion Spree; Ventures Into India's Cyber Security Biz
- India's Mobile Data Traffic To Grow 5x By 2023: Report
- Data Science: A Success Mantra For Business Optimization