Nokia CEO Meets PM, Talks Mobile
Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, CEO of mobile giant - Nokia, met the Indian prime minister to talk about government policies and the mobile services market in the country.
Kallasvuo also explained what the company is doing to drive mobile adoption in India, while highlighting the need for re-energizing the telecom industry. The recent increase in VAT on handsets in states like Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh also featured in the discussions.
Bureaucratic hurdles have been a major problem in the adoption of new telecom technologies in India. A case in point being the 3G spectrum allocations, which have kept getting postponed since an year.
In related news, the Economic Times recently reported Nokia’s intent of entering the netbook market. "The PC and the mobile will continue to come closer and merge. A lot of opportunity can be seen in this converged area. We at Nokia is actively looking at this converged market. We are looking at the netbook market to see what kind of opportunity is there," ET quotes Kallasvuo as saying.
Nokia, last month, entered into a partnership with Intel, to create a ‘new class of devices’ that go beyond the current smartphones, laptops, and netbooks and use Linux software to create on open platform. Not much is known about this project currently, but perhaps Kallasvuo was referring to this partnership.
Microsoft, Nokia Enter Into Long-term Alliance
Microsoft, Nokia Office Deal in Offing
Nokia Siemens Appoints Urs Pennanen as India Head
Intel-Nokia Tieup Will Take Few Years to Succeed
VAT Hike Hits Mobile Phone Sales
- CXOs Struggling To Turn Digital Strategies into Performance
- For Most Firms, Digital Workplace Is Still Distant Dream : Gartner
- The Digital Messiah: Inside Accenture's Innovation Hub
- How Robo-Advisors Are Disrupting Financial Services
- Edge Computing Drives Internet Of Thing's Growth: Study
- Indus OS To Become Default Platform For Internet Content: CTO
- Iris Global On Expansion Spree; Ventures Into India's Cyber Security Biz
- India's Mobile Data Traffic To Grow 5x By 2023: Report
- MoneyOnMobile Introduces Bharat Bill Payment
- How AWS Is Driving India's Cloud Growth Story