Nokia fuels hopes of phone launch ahead of Apple
Mobile phone maker Nokia Oyj said on Wednesday it will hold a joint media event with Microsoft Corp in New York on September 5, boosting hopes that it will unveil its long-awaited Windows smartphone upgrade before rival Apple Inc rolls out its next iPhone.
The Finnish company gave no details about the September event, but Nokia CEO Stephen Elop said earlier on Wednesday the company would unveil soon a new smartphone using Microsoft’s latest smartphone software known as Windows Phone 8.
The joint event with Microsoft will occur a week before Apple is expected to unveil its own hotly anticipated iPhone 5.
Nokia has been fighting for survival after ceding vast ground to rivals Apple and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd in recent years. In 2011 it forged a software alliance with Elop’s former employer, Microsoft, which also fell behind in smartphone software.
Both Nokia and Microsoft are pinning their hopes on the next Windows-based phone to challenge Apple’s iPhone and Samsung’s Galaxy smartphone.
Nokia has not commented on specific plans for its Nokia World trade show event in Helsinki on September 5 and 6.
Elop did not deny a September launch when he spoke to reporters earlier on Wednesday. He said only that Windows Phone 8 smartphones would be released in the “relatively near term.”
Elop, who was brought in from Microsoft two years ago to lead Nokia’s fight against Apple and Samsung, said he was sticking to his strategy of using Microsoft software despite the limited success of Windows phones so far.
Nokia decided in early 2011 to ditch its home-grown Symbian software in favor of software from Microsoft.
“I don’t think about rewinding the clock and thinking about competing elsewhere,” he told reporters in Oslo.
“In today’s war … (between) Android, Apple and Windows, we are very clear, we are fighting that with the Windows phone,” said Elop, who was in Oslo for a meeting with Telenor ASA Chief Executive Jon Fredrik Baksaas.
- Top 10 Tech Acquisitions In 2017 So Far
- Microsoft Brings AI Powered Update To Bing
- What Makes Samsung Bullish On India Market?
- Looking At The World Through A Digital Lens
- 4 Big Data Trends To Watch In 2018
- Nokia Expands Bengaluru R&D Center To Focus On 5G
- Microsoft India Cybersecurity Center Aids 126 Organizations
- Yes Bank Automates Field Sales Processes Using Kaizala
- SDN-NFV: The Game Changers In Indian Telecom sector
- Mixed Reality, AI, Quantum Computing To Bring Massive Shift: Satya Nadella