Nokia Siemens Networks produces 3G infra in India
Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) has started manufacturing 3G mobile communications infrastructure at its Chennai facility. With this move, the company becomes the country’s first telecommunications infrastructure vendor to manufacture 3G products locally.
With 3G licenses underway and the country taking huge strides in telecommunications, operators require a local manufacturing partner. This is definitely the right time and place to begin 3G manufacturing for India," said Urs Pennanen, head of the India region at NSN.
The first batch of LTE-ready 3G base stations rolled out of the Chennai facility last week. NSN will initially manufacture radio frequency modules and system modules, ramping up production for both these products by almost three-fold towards the latter half of the year. In addition, the company plans to commence production of transport modules and next-generation microwave radios from the second half of 2010, as well as increase its 3G manufacturing headcount from 75 to 210 by the third quarter 2010.
"While the products manufactured here are intended for both local and global markets, the demands of the Indian market will be given priority in the manufacturing decisions," said Herbert Merz, head of operations for NSN.
The company has set up 3G test labs in the country and has trained 3200 Indian field engineers to support 3G roll-outs. Furthermore, the company’s Global Network Solutions Centers (GNSC’s) in Noida and Chennai are fully equipped to manage 3G networks remotely. These GNSCs already serve 27 3G operators globally, maintaining, operating and optimizing their networks. The company’s R&D center in Bengaluru supports 3G-related initiatives for the domestic market, and the company has already carried out site surveys for 3G deployment.
- Google, L&T Team Up For 150 Hotspots In Pune
- RJio’s Rs 49 Per Month Plan Could Force Incumbents Shift To VoLTE 4G
- Challenges Of Mobile Operators In The Age Of HD
- CIO Klub Chennai Chapter Marks Sixth anniversary
- Top IT Security Predictions of 2018
- AI To Play A Decisive Role In Cyber Security
- Indian Organizations To Invest Heavily In Security In 2018
- What Lies Ahead For Cloud Computing In 2018?
- Why Cloud Adopters Need Visibility Into Their Network
- Enterprise Networks: Things To Focus On In 2018