Norton Alerts On Social Media Spamming
Global security player Norton has alerted the social media users on any feed that pop-up in their page claiming the death of a particular celebrity can be a spam and India is one of the top-5 countries with highest number of cybercrimes.
In a mailer, the security company said, “What would you do if you see a feed on your Facebook wall reading that your favorite celeb is dead? You might just hit the share button or check further on this news. In this age of micro blogging and social media, users tend to instantly consume/react to any content that is sensational and entertaining.
“While in a lot of cases these are simple pranks, others have more serious repercussions. As per recent news reports popular Indian celebs such as Amitabh Bachchan, Lata Mangeskar, Katrina Kaif made it to such hoax death lists. Symantec in its recent blog post has elaborated on how cybercriminals are using Hollywood celeb death messages as a strong bait to trick users.”
According to the Norton Report 2013, India is one among the world’s top five countries for the highest number of incidences of cybercrime such as ransomware (11 percent), identity theft (11 percent) and phishing (9 percent).
With social networking sites becoming easy outlets for phishers for experimenting new techniques in a desperate move to lure users. With the increasing broadband penetration and smartphone adoption, users in emerging Indian cities are also exploring the web and contributing to the lucrative pool of targets. Evidently Indian consumers are becoming more vulnerable; as such forms of cybercrime are getting personalized.
Additionally, cybercriminals come prepared with detailed research, exploit consumer’s emotions and employ sophisticated techniques.
The sensational messages usually include a link to a video on the news, however redirects the user to a site with advertisements that ask the victim to fill out a survey. These ads and surveys generate revenue for the scammer.
- Skybox Finds Cryptomining Malware Now Dominates Threat landscape
- How AR-VR Is Changing The World Of Advertising
- Know Before Getting Your Cloud Architecture In Shape
- CISOs Should Help In Building Digital Trust With Consumers, Says Study
- Global Device Shipments To See Flat Growth This Year: Gartner
- Battling Cyber Risks With Intelligent Automation
- 3 Wealthiest Global CEOs Come From Tech Industry
- Ensuring A Secured Blockchain Ecosystem
- Cyber GCCs In India At The Cusp Of Transformation
- Have We Learnt A Lesson From Facebook-Cambridge Analytica Crisis?