Novell offers mobile file sharing solution to biz users
To help businesses manage the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) trend in a better way, software company Novell has released its enterprise file sharing software, called Filr, that it claims is as simple to use as commercial cloud storage services such as Dropbox, Microsoft Skydrive, and Google Drive.
According to Eric Varness, VP and Product Manager, Novell, “As employees use consumer-based tools designed to share enterprise files, organizations often lose control of their content. This is particularly true when they are copied to off-site commercial cloud storage services,” he said.
The new software is designed to allow employees to access their work files from anywhere with an Internet connection, while keeping the files on enterprise servers. “The content stays in an organization’s existing file system. Our server makes the connection from the mobile device. The user logs in, authenticates back to their existing directory, using the same credential they use to log in from the office. And they get a mobile view to their existing file structure,” said Varness.
Moreover employees can access this software from their home directory and also other directories he or she has permissions to access. It works with Apple’s iPhones and iPads, Android and Blackberry devices, and Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh computers and provides a stand-alone application that can be installed on each type of device, besides offering browser access.
Filr runs as a virtual appliance, behind the company firewall. It also comes with a number of other capabilities. For example, it offers a search engine for each employee’s files. Employees can set up the software to periodically synchronize files among different devices. It also provides the ability to share documents with one or multiple parties to comment on those documents.
- Is Artificial Intelligence Ready To Overhaul Healthcare Sector
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- By 2020, Half Of Content Viewing Will Be Mobile: Study
- Perks@Croma: An Experiment In Buzz Marketing
- How Algorithms Are Revolutionizing Lending Business
- 5 Best Ways to Use Collaboration Tools for Quick Growth
- Using Technology To Your Business Advantage
- 40 pc FMCG Spend Will Have Digital Influence By 2020, Says Google
- 19 Milestones On Google's 19th Birthday
- Microsoft Gears Up For Quantum Computing Ecosystem