Nvidia Cuda Brings Alive NASA Moon Landing
Powered by Nvidia Tesla GPUs with Cuda technology, Lowry Digital has restored and enhanced television coverage of the original video, which was accidentally destroyed.
Incorporating its digital video restoration technology, Lowry Digital worked with several video sources to produce the footage, working from low-quality images such as television broadcast video and 8mm film shot on a handheld camera that was pointed at the monitor at NASA s Honeysuckle Creek tracking station in Australia.
"Nvidia Cuda has enabled Lowry Digital to develop and use, in a practical and efficient manner, far more complex image processing algorithms than would otherwise be possible, providing great value for our customers. said John D Lowry, founder, Lowry Digital. This has significantly increased both our image quality and our operational efficiency.
Nvidia Tesla GPUs are high performance parallel processors and work together with CPUs in a co-processing model. Computationally-intensive applications like digital video restoration use the massive computational capabilities of the GPU while the sequential part of the application s code runs on the CPU, speeding up the overall process and decreasing time to completion.
Enhancing each frame of the video on a CPU-only system would have taken Lowry Digital between 20 to 45 minutes to complete. Tesla GPUs deliver a 100-times boost in performance, cutting the restoration time for a single frame to seconds. The final Apollo 11 video will feature two and half hours of HD video
Lowry Digital s restoration process has brought out details in the Apollo 11 videos that were never visible before, said Andy Keane, general manager of the Tesla business unit at Nvidia. You can now see the faces of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin behind their visors, the stars on the US flag when it is being raised and amazing details of the moon surface.
Lowry Digital is scheduled to complete the restoration project of NASA s video archive of the moon landings in September.
- Is Gender Gap In Tech Industry Getting Any Better
- Cloud For IT Transformation: 5 Facts CIOs Should Know
- How Digital Platforms Are Helping Real Estate Business
- Robosoft Technologies Appoints Ravi Teja As New CEO
- Is Artificial Intelligence The Future Of ERP Software Optimization?
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Oct 9-13)
- Tele-Health To Bolster Home Healthcare Services
- How AI Is Fueling Customer Experience Strategies
- Myriad Possibilities Of The Application Economy
- Third Party Digital Cos Will Generate Over $31 Bn This Year