Opera Names Lars Boilesen New CEO
Opera Software has appointed Lars Boilesen as the company’s new chief executive officer, effective immediately. He succeeds Jon S. von Tetzchner, who co-founded the company in 1995 and has served as CEO since that time.
Tetzchner will continue to serve Opera full-time in a strategic and independent capacity, the company said.
"Lars Boilesen brings both a very significant industry experience and a deep understanding of Opera to the role as the company’s chief executive officer. In short, Opera’s spirit runs through his veins," said Tetzchner.
Tetzchner added, "My decision to assume a new role in Opera is based on a lengthy consideration process. As outgoing chief executive, I leave confident in the company’s continued leadership in key markets, our strong management team, our ongoing commitment to innovation, and our robust financial foundation."
Boilesen, 42, previously worked for Opera from 2000 to 2005 as executive vice president, sales. In 2005, he joined Alcatel-Lucent as CEO of the Nordics and the Baltics. Prior to re-joining Opera in January 2009 as chief commercial officer, Boilesen served on Opera Software’s board of directors as vice chairman.
"I was very happy about convincing Lars to come back to Opera one year ago. Today, I am very excited about asking him to take over as CEO as we continue our growth and global expansion. We have worked closely together for many years and I am certain that he is the right person to lead Opera into a very bright future," said Tetzchner.
"I am impressed with what Opera has achieved under Jon’s leadership," said Boilesen. "Our focus going forward is to execute on our current strategy and continue to deliver the best browser experience to the breadth of our customer and user base."
Boilesen has more than 20 years of international management and sales/marketing experience from companies such as Alcatel-Lucent, Tandberg Data, Lego and Opera Software.
- How Machine Learning Is Changing CIO's Role
- India's Enterprise Software Spending To Outgrow China: Gartner
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Oct 16-20)
- Cloud For IT Transformation: 5 Facts CIOs Should Know
- Is Artificial Intelligence The Future Of ERP Software Optimization?
- Even Minor Glitches And Breaches Can Kill Brands
- Are You Choosing The Best Software For Your Business?
- 6 Jobs Artificial Intelligence Is Replacing Soon
- Using Technology To Your Business Advantage
- Enterprises See Gap In IoT-ERP Integration: Study