Oracle Outlines plans for Java platform
At JavaOne 2010, Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL), a business software and hardware systems company, outlined its plans on how it intends to take the Java platform ahead. During the opening keynote, Thomas Kurian, Executive Vice President, Oracle Product Development spoke about the future of the Java platform and also showcased product demonstrations illustrating the latest Java technology innovations.
“Oracle believes that the Java community expects results. With our increased investment in the Java platform, a sharp focus on features that deliver value to the community, and a relentless focus on performance, the Java language and platform have a bright future,” said Kurian. “In addition, Oracle remains committed to OpenJDK (Open Java Development Kit) as the best open source Java implementation and we will continue to improve OpenJDK and welcome external contributors.”
Covering the key areas of Java technology, Kurian stated that, Oracle is advancing the Java platform and optimizing it for new application models and hardware. This includes extended support for scripting languages, increased developer productivity and lower operational costs. Kurian also discussed the roadmap for JDK 7 and JDK 8, which will be based on OpenJDK.
Oracle is also working towards modernizing the Java mobile platform by delivering Java with web support to consumer devices. Oracle is also planning other enhancements including new language features, small-footprint CPU-efficient capabilities for cards, phones and TVs, and consistent tooling and emulation across hardware platforms.
- Nissan Motor Appoints Anthony Thomas As Global CIO
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- By 2020, Half Of Content Viewing Will Be Mobile: Study
- Perks@Croma: An Experiment In Buzz Marketing
- SAP Leonardo To Help Indian Firms With Digital Transformation
- How Algorithms Are Revolutionizing Lending Business
- Oracle's Thomas Kurian Outlines Future Of Enterprise Cloud
- IaaS Helps Indian Cos Boost, Performance, Innovation
- Oracle Announces New Cloud Programs For The Enterprise
- Cloud-Based Biometric Authentication Is Underway