OTT Gaining Momentum Due To Faster Internet
With internet speed improving in India over the last few months, there is growth in the Over-The-Top (OTT) space and may result in a behavioral shift among Indian consumers, believes industry players.
According to Cloud delivery platform Akamai’s latest “State of the Internet Report” OTT, or the delivery of video content through internet, looks promising as the average speed has dramatically improved in the last 18 months from a 3-odd Mbps to a 6.5 Mbps.
“The massive upsurge in 4G connections across new telcos and incumbents has powered this surge, which is reflected in a massive 6X leap in data consumption at 1.3 billion GB per month,” Vamshi Reddy, CEO and founder, Apalya Technologies, a pioneer in mobile video solutions, told IANS.
“There has been a rise in the number of people consuming web-based OTT content. With the start-up boom and the availability of services online, like retail, banking, ticketing, entertainment etc. more Indian citizens across age groups are using the Internet. We also see an upward trend in smartphone adoption which allows the customers to be “connected” on the go.
The advent of affordable Internet ready mobile devices, heavy usage data packs from service providers and a surge in easily available online content has facilitated the migration of audiences from the TV to the mobile medium thereby boosting the market for OTT content,” said, Vincent Low, Director, Product Marketing, Media, Akamai Technologies.
According to a Media Partner Asia (MPA) report, India’s active OTT video subscribers is expected to grow to 105 million by 2020. Even though at its nascent phase, the VOD market is highly competitive in India. Media companies like Star, Sony Pictures Networks, Zee, Eros and Reliance Entertainment already present in the OTT market.
Similarly, platforms like YuppTV and Hotstar, PressPlay TV, Viu, Netflix, etc. Are also in the race. Joining the list, India’s one of the prominent multimedia company Viacom 18 has entered in the OTT play with the launch of its digital platform called as ‘Voot’.
- Coolpad Appoints Chief IP Officer; Focuses On India Market
- Why Enterprises Need To Automate Security Systems
- By 2025, Digital Transactions To Reach $1-Tn Annually: Report
- What Digital Transformation Means To Global Businesses
- India's Enterprise Software Spending To Outgrow China: Gartner
- Computex 2018, Smart Asia Trade Expo To Focus On AI, IoT
- Citizen Engagement Is Critical To Smart Cities' Success: Gartner
- Creating Men As Allies In Gender Diversity Programs
- Woman Empowerment Through Edtech
- India Tops Data Literacy And Awareness In APAC: Report