Qualcomm chipsets will enhance 3G features on LG
GSMA, LG Electronics and Qualcomm have come together to bring 3G services to the mass market.
12 network operators at the GSMA conference in Barcelona, Spain, yesterday chose LG KU250 to develop handsets for the 3G market for GSMA’s 3G for All’ project.
The handset would be launched on their networks that currently span six continents. Powered by the Qualcomm Mobile Station Modem(MSM) MSM6245 chipset for WCDMA/EDGE/GPRS/GSM handsets, the KU250 handset features Internet browsing, mobile music and a wide range of other 3G services.
A statement issued here today said that the handset is powered by Qualcomm’s chipset technology to deliver a wide range of advanced wireless features that meet operators’ specifications, at a price point to drive 3G capabilities to a wider base of users. GSMA had launched the initiative in June 2006 to help make feature-rich handsets accessible to consumers in the developed and developing countries, said Rob Conway, GSMA CEO.
Said Dominique Oh, vice president of marketing, Europe and CIS, LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company, “Qualcomm’s chipset and our team’s dedication to this project made it possible for us to offer compelling features while meeting the needs of the twelve operators who have chosen this model for their subscribers.”
Remarked Jens Schulte Bockum, Global Director of Terminals, Vodafone, “We recognize the importance of chipset vendors like Qualcomm in reducing the price gap between 3G and 2.5G terminals and in delivering 3G performance at mass-market cost points. We anticipate this will help fuel the growth of the entry-level 3G market as a whole.”
“QUALCOMM believes that one of our responsibilities to the market is helping make advanced wireless voice and Internet connectivity available to more people worldwide,” added Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, CEO of QUALCOMM, “We are proud to have been a part of this program with the GSMA and appreciate their initiative in bringing the industry together toward this common goal of speeding the growth of 3G and multimedia services worldwide, enhancing competition and consumer choice.”
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today - (Sept 19-Sept 24)
- Dawn of 4G Brings 3G Handsets' Demise In India
- Machine Learning Can Work Wonders For Fintech
- How Airport Apps Are Altering Travel Experience
- RCom, Aircel Merge To Form India's Third-Largest Telco
- Ajay Sharma, Micromax’s Head Of Mobile, Tablet Biz Exits
- Salesforce Snaps Up Another Startup HeyWire
- How To Prevent WhatsApp From Sharing Phone Number With Facebook
- Mobile Ransomware Detection Up 200 pc In Q2: Quick Heal
- Why Microsoft Azure Is The Platform Of Choice For Businesses