Regulation for Mobile Vas Coming Soon: TRAI Chairman
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is aware of the key issues faced by the Mobile Value Added Services (VAS) industry and would soon take measures to address them, informed Dr J S Sarma, chairman of the authority at the 5th India Digital Summit organized by Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
He said that TRAI will look into these issues and bring about a consultation paper that may lead to a regulatory regime soon. “We will definitely look into these issues and we will soon come out with consultation paper to address them.”
Sarma further stated that the soon-to-be announced National Broadband Policy (NBP) will have provisions of extending broadband connectivity to all villages in India having a population of over 500 people. “The broadband Policy will aim to provide the back-haul processes or core access points required for capturing and delivering data,” quoted Sarma.
Drawing attention to the need for a comprehensive development of the ecosystem for growth of digital media in India, Sarma said a national agency will be set up that will aid the smooth roll-out of the NBP.
Speaking at the event, Rajat Kathuria, consultant, ICRIER said that most critical challenge we face as a nation is extremely low rate of Internet penetration. “As per our estimates, for every 10 percent rise in Internet penetration, there is a growth of 1.08 points in the GDP. These figures show the impact Internet growth will have on the development of the nation as whole,” observed Kathuria.
- Digital Transformation Remains A Confused 'Buzzword' To CXOs: Study
- Entrepreneurship Perceptions On Rise In India: GEM Report
- IT, Digital Firms Comprise LinkedIn's Best Cos For 2018
- Lack Of Trained Staff, Security Hinder FinTech Growth
- Embracing Opportunities And Challenges Of Digital Transformation
- Smart Cities Can Save 125 Hrs For Each Citizen Every Year: Study
- Digital Tech Creating Enhanced Experiences In The Air
- Global Digital Signature Market To See Huge Leap: Study
- Using Cloud, AI To Transform Banking Sector
- Tips To Transform Your Business With Cloud Migration