Revealed: The Top 10 CIO Concerns In 2015
Worries about information and systems security continue to keep most CIOs up at night, and in fact, security is the number one concern among CIOs and CTOs. While earlier studies too have emphasized on security and emerging technologies, such as cloud, big data and mobile giving sleepless nights to CIOs, a new study shows that staff retention, succession planning and IT skills gap are also among the top concerns bothering CIOs considerably.
The study done by research firm Janco Associates polled over 10 CIOs and CTOs polled over the past two months and came up with 10 issues clearly topped the CIO worry list. According to the firm, the top 10 issues revealed are:
- Security (68 percent)
- Cloud computing (55 percent)
- Infrastructure (48 percent)
- Consolidation of legacy systems and data (44 percent)
- Big data (40 percent)
- Automation focused on enterprise staff reductions and improved revenues (32 percent)
-Mobile computing, including BYOD (22 percent)
- IT staff retention (15 percent)
- Social networks (13 percent)
- Succession planning (10 percent)
“With the recent events like the breaches at Sony and of US government officials email account, CIOs are well aware they are in the hot seat on this issue.” He added, “CIOs and CSOs are struggling to get a handle on the every changing landscape of security. With all of the cyber-attacks and data breaches, it is clear that the security and infrastructure for most enterprises needs to be reviewed and re-vamped on an on-going basis,” said MV Janulaitis, the President of Janco Associates.
According to Janulitis, “Each of these top ten concerns is focused on the three legs of IT management: technology, people, and infrastructure. To address these concerns, Janco has created a unique CIO Concern Management Toolkit that includes: Security Manual Template, How to Guide for Cloud Processing and Outsourcing, IT Job Family Classification HandiGuide, over 270 Job Descriptions, Interview and Hiring Guide, IT Salary Survey, CIO IT Infrastructure Policy Bundle with electronic forms, Business and IT Impact Questionnaire, and Vulnerability and Threat Assessment Tool.
It is important for businesses to follow industry standard best practices for security and compliance, infrastructure, organizational role and responsibilities. What becomes equally important is how to deal with shadow IT, BYOD and processes that improve overall effectiveness and efficiencies of IT.
- Why Enterprises Need To Automate Security Systems
- Ransomware Against IoT, Mobile On The Rise: SonicWall
- Employee Training: A Security Priority For Financial CISOs
- How To Become Cisco CCNA Security 210-260 Certified
- Women In Cybersecurity Face Harsh Reality: Study
- Decoding The Security Factor In IoT
- How Companies Can Disrupt Ransomware Attacks
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Oct 16-20)
- Password Protected Wi-Fi Is Also Prone To Hacks: Study
- The 10 Best Companies For Women In India