Rural BPO Gets Major Boost in Karnataka
To give rural BPOs a major boost, the Government of Karnataka plans to set up 100 rural BPO centres and create 1 lakh jobs in the next five years.
Ashok Kumar C Manoli, state IT/BT secretary, said, The BPO centres will be an ideal vehicle to carry technology and financial empowerment to thousands of rural youth across the state. The idea is to create a rural BPO cluster, which later can be integrated with similar projects across the country.
The first such centre has already come up at Baburayana Koppal in Srirangapatna, near Mysore. Three more BPO centres are planned at Salgame, Shiggaon, Gundalupet in the state in the next couple of months.
The exercise is aimed at promoting jobs for rural youth with minimum computer knowledge and belonging to small towns of 1 lakh population. To start with each of these centres will have 100 seats. The government has set aside Rs 40 crore to develop infrastructure in these towns, said Manoli.
We have recently floated tenders for the second phase inviting applications from entrepreneurs who are interested in rural BPO business. We have already received 124 responses, against 118 applications in the first round, he said.
The maiden venture in Srirangapatna, MRBPO, will focus on fund sourcing-related works for NGOs across the country. Mindblow Software-promoted rural BPO in Shiggaon will focus on medical form filling for the domestic and the US market, BPO in Gundalupet will do insurance form processing job for Indian and overseas markets while the Salgame one will focus on medical transcription, said Manoli.
- Top 10 Tech Acquisitions In 2017 So Far
- What Millennials Want From Their Employers?
- AI To Bring More Jobs, Revenues To Businesses
- The Age of Cognition Is Coming
- How Robotics Is Changing The Shared Service Landscape
- How Shalimar Paints Is Weaving Its Digital Story
- Helping C-Suite Innovate With ERP Cloud
- Cisco-ver 2: Fixing Spokes While The Bicycle Is In Motion
- Conversational AI: Driving The Next Generation Customer Experience
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Nov 6-11)