Samsung Unveils OMH Handset to Steal GSM's Thunder
Samsung Electronics, in partnership with Qualcomm, has launched Mpower 699 CDMA handset based on OMH technology in the Indian market. The OMH (open market handsets) technology enables users to buy a CDMA handset and use SIMs from various operators, much like GSM-based phones of Nokia, etc.
Announcing the launch of Samsung Mpower 699 in the Indian market, Jung Soo Shin, president & CEO, Samsung South West Asia HQ, said consumers will now have the flexibility to choose an operator at their will at any point in time. "OMH empowers a CDMA customer as never before and will serve to fuel the growth in the CDMA handset market," he said.
Kanwalinder Singh, SVP of Qualcomm and president of Qualcomm India and South Asia, said, "OMH handsets, such as Samsung s feature-rich Mpower 699, play a central role in offering Indian subscribers the freedom, flexibility and choice to easily change or upgrade their handsets. With currently more than 100 million CDMA subscribers, we expect OMH to play a key role in driving the growth of CDMA in India."
The migration to this model for existing CDMA subscribers is easy as it provides support for existing R-UIM/SIM for voice and SMS as well as data services and the OMH SIM is also backward compatible to support all previously launched CDMA handsets which support R-UIMs/SIMs, the company said in a press statement.
"At Samsung, last year we took the first step towards giving consumers flexibility in CDMA by launching our Mpower series handset to work with CDMA connections from operators Reliance Mobile, Tata Indicom and Virgin Mobile. Today, we have taken a significant step forward with the launch of the OMH-compliant Mpower 699," stated Sunil Dutt, country head, Samsung Telecom Division, Samsung India Electronics.
Mpower 699 is equipped with a 1.3MP camera with video recording and advanced multimedia features such as audio player, video player and stereo FM radio, Mobile Tracker, dedicated camera key, and a 2GB MicroSD card. The model is priced at Rs 7100.
- Technical Challenges For Implementation Of GST
- India's Top 10 Innovative Companies For 2018
- Unnecessary Security Cordons Make Fintech More Vulnerable
- E-Commerce Payment Market To Reach USD 135 Bn By 2023: Study
- 4G Smartphones Sees 14 pc Growth In India: IDC
- What Lies Ahead For India's Fintech Sector?
- Google’s India Initiative Speak Volumes About India's Booming Internet Base
- Top CRM Features To Ensure Data Security
- Chinese Smartphones Move To Top 5 Global List, Courtesy India
- Google India Rolls Out Campaign To Protect Data, Devices