Seagate helps NGO digitally preserve Kutch crafts
Seagate Technology has launched an online museum for traditional Kutch crafts, the Kala Raksha Museum Collection. This online museum is part of Seagate’s on-going programme supporting digital preservation of the vanishing traditional craft forms in the Kutch region of Gujarat, western India. This programme is being administered by Kala Raksha, a non-government organisation (NGO) comprising artisans, community members and experts in the fields of art, design and museum curatorship dedicated to preserving traditional arts.
"Seagate’s support enabled us to enhance the museum collections, complete documentation of the different artisan traditions of Kutch, digitally archive historically and culturally important works and complete a series of films on the traditional understanding of design - all of which will become important tools in taking the craft forms forward for coming generations," said Judy Frater, project director, Kala Raksha Vidhyalaya.
Seagate has been collaborating with Kala Raksha for nearly two years in a unique programme that involves extensive digitisation of images, documents, instruction and other items to preserve the techniques, processes, materials, designs and motifs used in the Kutch textile traditions. The joint digital preservation programme between Seagate and Kala Raksha includes researching, archiving and digitally capturing, as well as developing programmes, exhibitions and scholarships for deserving artisans.
"Seagate’s involvement in this digitisation project aims to enable this unique heritage to be shared across borders for future generations. The online museum will become a resource for the next generations to inherit the traditional crafts," said Rajesh Khurana, country manager of India & SAARC, Seagate Technology.
- Cloud For IT Transformation: 5 Facts CIOs Should Know
- Altaf Halde Steps Down; Kaspersky Lab Appoints New GM
- How Digital Platforms Are Helping Real Estate Business
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Changing Diwali Shopping
- The 10 Best Companies For Women In India
- Diwali Brings Glitter To Consumer Electronics Sales
- Delving Into The ABC Of Cyber Security
- Rubique To Expand To 100 Cities by March 2018
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- Flipkart To Invest USD 500 Mn In Its Payments Arm PhonePe