Seagate, Samsung to jointly develop enterprise SSD controller technology
Seagate Technology, a company that provides hard disk drives and storage solutions, has entered into a join development and licensing agreement with Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., an advanced memory technology provider.
As per the agreement, the two companies will jointly develop and cross-license related controller technologies for solid state drive (SSD) storage devices to attain the high levels of performance, reliability and endurance demanded by enterprise storage applications.
“We are pleased to be jointly developing a high-performance SSD controller with Seagate for the enterprise storage market,” said Dr. Changhyun Kim, senior vice president and Samsung Fellow, Memory product planning & application engineering, Semiconductor Business, Samsung Electronics. “Our green memory solution is designed to enable more energy-efficient server applications, which is expected to increase the use of NAND-based SSD storage in enterprise applications.”
The joint development effort builds on the existing SSD capabilities of each company while combining Seagate’s leadership in enterprise storage technology with Samsung’s flash memory technology specific to 30 nanometer-class MLC (multi-level cell) NAND fabrication. The jointly developed controller will be utilized in Seagate’s enterprise-class SSDs.
“Seagate has long recognized that solid state technology has an important role to play in the comprehensive solutions the storage industry will deliver today and in the future, particularly in the enterprise market,” said Steve Luczo, Seagate chairman, president and CEO. “Overall, this agreement with Samsung strengthens our SSD solutions strategy, and positions Seagate well as global demand for storage continues on its strong growth path.”
- How Digital Tech Is Changing Customer Experience
- WB To Announce New IT Policy To Woo Investors: CM
- SpiderOak CEO Warns Of 10 Cybersecurity Threats For 2018
- Technology Plays A Vital Role In Empowering The Workforce
- Dentistry And Its Glorious Digital Future
- Stratus Unveils Edge Computing Strategy
- GES '17: Ivanka Trump’s Focus On Tech Is Not Misplaced
- 5 Ways Data Will Get Faster, Smarter: NetApp CTO
- The Age of Cognition Is Coming
- The Enterprise Gains From Micro Frontend