Shipment of smart connected devices to double by 2016: IDC
In 2011, 916 million units of these devices were shipped with revenues surpassing $489 billion dollars.
By 2016, the universe of smart connected devices, including PCs, media tablets, and smartphones, will reach 1.84 billion units, more than double the 2011 figure, as consumers and business of all shapes and sizes around the world are showing a nearly insatiable appetite for smart connected devices, says a new report.
According to a study carried by International Data Corporation (IDC), this works out to a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.4 percent for the five-year forecast period.
IDC said that unit shipments for smart connected devices should top 1.1 billion worldwide in 2012.
In 2011 more than 916 million units of these devices were shipped with revenues surpassing $489 billion dollars as per the report. These numbers reflect the combined total from IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker, Mobile Phone Tracker, and Media Tablet Tracker.
“Whether it is consumers looking for a phone that can tap into several robust app ecosystems, businesses looking at deploying tablet devices into their environments, or educational institutions working to update their school’s computer labs, smart, connected, compute-capable devices are playing an increasingly important role in nearly every individual’s life,” said Bob O’Donnell, Vice president, Clients and Displays at IDC.
Research conducted by IDC suggests that many individuals own and regularly use multiple smart connected devices.
“We are in the multi-device age, and we believe the number of people who use multiple devices will only continue to increase. The trick, moving forward, will be to integrate all these devices into a unified whole through use of personal cloud-type applications and services. That is the real challenge of what we have often called the PC Plus era,” said O’Donnell.
- All You Need To Know About Facebook-Cambridge Data Leak Saga
- Machine Learning Helps Doctors To Generate Precise, Faster Prescriptions
- Insurance Cos Lack Strategy To Leverage IoT Data: Study
- Lack Of Trained Staff, Security Hinder FinTech Growth
- Users Wary Of Making Purchases Through Smartwatches: Report
- PVR Cinemas Moves To Cloud For HR Transformation
- Smart Cities Can Save 125 Hrs For Each Citizen Every Year: Study
- Why Enterprises Need To Automate Security Systems
- IT Leaders Struggling With Hyper-Converged Infrastructure: Study
- LAVA Appoints Sunil Raina As President, Business Head