SMAC Failure Can Prove Costly For Business Leaders!
A lack of understanding around the pervasive spread and convergence of IT, communications and other digital technologies such as Social, Mobile, Analytics and Cloud (SMAC) is causing business leaders to launch ill-judged initiatives and miss crucial opportunities, believes Ovum’s chief research officer, Tim Jennings.
Speaking at a recent event Jennings urged enterprises to change their mind-set and adopt a more flexible approach to business technology innovation, to adapt to the profound change occurring in both business and society.
The overarching message was that mobile is becoming the primary facilitator in adapting to this change, followed by analytics and cloud, with social bringing up the rear. However, in his presentation, Jennings suggested that organizations are lacking a real understanding of what it means to be a digital business, how to develop a digital strategy, and the capabilities that are necessary to meet business objectives.
“Most organizations have a limited view of the changes driven by convergence and as such are uncertain of the impact on their business and the industry context in which they operate,” said Jennings. “This often results in ill-judged business initiatives and missed opportunities. Only through a better awareness of the role of information and the requirement for information management within a digital business environment, will today’s businesses ensure that they can remain on track.”
Jennings also suggested that businesses change their attitudes towards business technology procurement, deployment and operation, and lean toward the provision of flexible technology services, whether in-house, from a third-party, or a hybrid of the two.
“Every sector is being impacted by this digital change, so organizations must understand the context within their industry, find the right partners, and prioritize creating a digital technology capability. Failure to do so puts them at risk of falling behind the competition” concluded Jennings.
- Digital Security At The Heart Of Business Strategy
- There's Potential To Unlock USD 50-Bn in India's Online Commerce
- AI, Blockchain Shake Up The Drilling Industry: Study
- Digital Spending In Retail To Grow By $118 Bn By 2022: Zinnov
- AI, Chatbots Are Completely Changing Insurance Industry
- How Big Data Is Changing The Media Industry
- A Big Online Boost To India’s Small Businesses
- Digital Firms In India Can Achieve USD 39 Bn Exports By 2022: Study
- Intelligent ERP, A Must For Digital Transformation
- When Hackers Are Smart, Businesses Should Get Smarter