SMBs Prefer Blade Servers for Virtualization
Large enterprises with IT budgets over $1 million annually and SMBs have moved rapidly to adopt virtualization technologies using blade servers as their preferred hardware platform, Blade.org’s latest Internet-based survey for the period quarter four 2008 to quarter one 2009 revealed.
Blade.org is an open industry consortium focused on BladeCenter-based solutions.
The Blade.org survey found 44% of large IT organizations have implemented virtualization on blade servers in the datacenter, with 38% in the planning stage. Among SMBs, 28% have already virtualized using blades with another 36% in the planning stage.
According to Lisa Galish, Blade.org marketing committee chairperson, "Blade servers have fundamental advantages in consolidation, ease of management and cost reduction, making them ideal platforms for virtualization."
Other key findings
VMware is the preferred virtualization software platform with 82% penetration among large enterprises. Xen (44%) and Microsoft (25%) are also important players in this segment (organizations are actively implementing virtualization technologies from multiple vendors). Motivators are: cost savings and high availability, tied at 77% each, energy efficiency (67%), ease of management (63%), and easy disaster recovery (38%).
Among SMBs: 15% of SMBs have no plans to virtualize (reasons include cost, lack of information, not easy enough, still surveying the market); VMware (65%), Xen (27%) and Microsoft (21%) are leading software providers; motivators are: cost savings (65%), ease of management (56%), easy disaster recovery (55%), high availability (48%), and energy efficiency (46%).
In conclusion, the Blade.org survey confirms that most enterprises believe that they can reduce costs with virtualization technology running on blade servers.
- Large-Scale IoT Projects Doubled In Last One Year: Study
- Robosoft Technologies Appoints Ravi Teja As New CEO
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Oct 9-13)
- IoT Knowledge Gaps Exist In Consumer Product Industry
- Ericsson Sees 5G Readiness On The Rise
- Ola Vs Uber And The Battle Of Dominance In India
- AMD Plans Expansion In India, To Hire 500 Engineers: Report
- How AI Is Fueling Customer Experience Strategies
- Myriad Possibilities Of The Application Economy
- There's No Stopping The IoT Growth; Here's Why