Social Media on Mobile Phones Surges with Gen Y
The daily usage of Facebook on mobile phones has surged from 24.7% in 2013 to 29.3% among US consumers. The largest growth, 10 percentage points, came from consumers who are between 18 and 34.
These findings have been revealed in Temkin Group’s new research, Social Media Benchmark Study, 2014. This annual study examines 10,000 US consumers’ use of several different social media sites, on computers and mobile devices, and compares the results to previous studies from 2012 and 2013.
The report further states that after a drop in daily Facebook usage on computers last year, consumers in the US have now increased their daily use of Facebook, from 42.5% of the population in 2013 to 46.5% in 2014. The largest increase was with consumers between 55 and 64 years old. This group expanded its daily Facebook usage by nearly eight percentage points.
The research also showed that iPhone users tend to be more active on social media sites than Android, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry users.
“Consumers across all ages are becoming more active in social media, but the largest change we found is in the active mobile, social activities of younger consumers,” states Bruce Temkin, Customer Experience Transformist & Managing Partner of Temkin Group.
Here are some additional findings from the research:
- Daily activity on mobile devices is nearly as high as it is on computers for Facebook users under 24 years old, LinkedIn users under 45 years old, Twitter users under 35 years old, and users of review sites under 45 years old.
- Daily usage on computers is as follows: 17.7% visit a company’s Facebook site, 13.4% read or update LinkedIn, 10.9% read or update Twitter, 9.8% read or update Google+, 8.3% read or update Pinterest, 7.7% read or update Tumblr, 6.5% read a review on a rating site like Yelp or TripAdvisor, and 5.7% write a review on a rating site like Yelp or TripAdvisor.
- The report examines the usage of social media on different mobile devices. iPhone users are the most frequent daily readers and updaters of Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, and Tumblr. Blackberry users are the most frequent daily visitors of company Facebook pages, users of Google+, Tumblr (tied with iPhone), and ratings and review sites.
- How Financial Institutions Can Speed Up The Lending Processes
- How Augmented Reality Is Powering Mobile Commerce
- Global Device Shipments To See Flat Growth This Year: Gartner
- Smart Digital Media Marketing Without Losing Human Touch
- Adoption of Social Business Models Growing, Says ISG
- Indus OS To Become Default Platform For Internet Content
- India's Mobile Data Traffic To Grow 5x By 2023: Report
- MoneyOnMobile Introduces Bharat Bill Payment
- 5G Will Create USD 27-Bn Opportunity For India: Ericsson
- 10 Reasons That Make SMS A Powerful Marketing Tool