Spectrum Scam: CBI Raids Telecom Firms
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) today raided 19 offices of 10 telecom firms, and seized documents pertaining to allotment of 2G spectrum.
CBI officials said the raids are still on.
Telecom Minister A Raja said he will not resign in the wake of the CBI raids on the Department of Telecom (DoT) offices over allegations of a financial scam in 2G spectrum allocations.
Raja defended his position by saying no allegations have been levelled against him.
Raja’s role in the 2G spectrum allocation at throwaway prices is already under scrutiny since last year.
CBI searched the offices of the telecom ministry yesterday probing allegations of connivance of officials with private companies in allocation of spectrum that may have caused a loss of Rs 22,000 crore to the government.
The searches began in the morning at the offices of Wireless Planning Cell (WPC), the department responsible for allocating spectrum, and the office of Deputy Director General (Access Services).
A CBI spokesman said, "It has been alleged that there had been serious irregularities in the award of unified excess services licenses to private companies."
A CBI release said: "As per information received, there was criminal conspiracy between certain officials of DoT and private persons and companies in order to award licences to these companies by putting a cap on the number of applicants against Trai recommendations."
- Trai Backs Net Neutrality; Will RJio, Airtel Stand To Gain?
- TRAI's Decision Disappoint Airtel, Vodafone
- RJio Effect: India's Telecom Subscriber Base Touches 1.18 Bn
- Will Trai’s Consultation Paper Clear Roadblocks In Net Neutrality?
- India's Telecom Sector Set For More Disruption: Expert
- Fasten Your Seatbelts, R-Jio Is Taking Off
- Top Ten Stories On CXO Today (October 10-14)
- Spectrum Auctions: TRAI Chairman Claims Success
- Interconnect War Between Airtel-RJio Turns Ugly
- Facebook Plans Commercial Launch Of Rural WiFi In India