TRAI Announces Number Portability Regulations
TRAI has unveiled its draft regulations for the introduction of mobile number portability (MNP), which allows consumers to change their telecom operator without changing their phone number.
According to the draft regulations, new mobile users will be permitted to change their operators only after 90 days of signing up with their first service provider. It has also recommended that after changing their operator, consumers need to stay with the new operator for a minimum period of 90 days.
In order to avail of MNP, TRAI has proposed that customers give a written undertaking to their existing service provider for switching to a new operator, which will then have to carry out all checks, including identity verification, before the process can be completed. The process must be completed within five days, said TRAI.
A charge will be levied on customers for changing operators, said TRAI. It is yet not clear what this charge will be as TRAI said it will be specified later after taking in suggestions by industry and consumer bodies.
Of course, the customer has to pay a fee to change their operators, said TRAI. This would be specified later after consultations with both the industry and consumer bodies.
The DoT had earlier appointed Syniverse Technologies and MNP Interconnect for rolling out MNP in India. Post the announcement of these draft regulations, it appears that the much awaited number portability will probably kick off on schedule.
- Amazon Beats Apple, Google To Become World’s Most Valuable Brand
- LAVA Appoints Sunil Raina As President, Business Head
- Ransomware Against IoT, Mobile On The Rise: SonicWall
- E-Tailers Should Embrace “Mobile-First” Mindset To Succeed
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- By 2020, Half Of Content Viewing Will Be Mobile: Study
- Perks@Croma: An Experiment In Buzz Marketing
- How Algorithms Are Revolutionizing Lending Business
- Cloud-Based Biometric Authentication Is Underway
- TRAI's Decision Disappoint Airtel, Vodafone