Trai Seeks Industry Views on MNP Charges
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has released a consultation paper seeking opinion from the industry and stakeholders to determine how much the telecom operators or the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service provider will have to pay for porting number, as also inputs on the issues involved in determining these charges.
MNP service allows subscribers to retain their existing mobile number when they switch from one service provider to another or from one technology to another of the same service provider.
Syniverse Technologies and Telcordia Technologies have been issued licences by the Department of Telecom to set up MNP, each serving a separate zone in the country.
As per the licence, three types of charges are applicable in case of MNP. Firstly, per port transaction charge, that is the charge payable by the recipient operator (the operator, where the subscriber is willing to port his number) to the MNP service provider for processing the request. Secondly, porting charge, which is payable by the subscriber for porting his number, and thirdly, dipping charge.
The various related issues discussed in the consultation paper include role and functions of MNP operator, the network elements involved in the MNP process, MNP related cost details, information about implementation of MNP in different countries and the porting fee charged there, among others.
The last date for submitting the views is Aug 5, 2009.
Syniverse Technologies and Telcordia Technologies have reportedly told Trai that around 2% to 4.3% of the total mobile subscriber base may opt for portability. As per industry estimates, 40% of mobile users change their operators every year without worrying about their phone number in India.
- India Launches Blockchain Foundation To Accelerate Growth
- Artificial Intelligence Transforming India's Education Sector
- Cyber Security Jobs At Premium As India Goes Digital
- Enterprise Networks: Things To Focus On In 2018
- Why 2018 Will Belong To Cloud, AI, Blockchain
- What Makes Samsung Bullish On India Market?
- Governance, Risk and Compliance- Trends and Predictions
- Trends In Information Management: An India Perspective
- RBI Reiterates Its Warning On Bitcoins
- Looking At The World Through A Digital Lens