Twitter CEO Dick Costolo Upbeat On India Market
Twitter CEO Dick Costolo on his maiden visit to India met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and shared his views on how the microblogging site can help in various social and digital initiatives in India. Costolo, who promised to support the PM in these areas is also equally upbeat about the Indian market.
He believes that India has the fastest growing mobile population in the world. Moreover, the number of mobile Internet users have been growing rapidly and stood at 173 million at the end of December 2014.
The growth in mobile is also a reason why the company acquired missed call mobile marketing firm ZipDial, a platform that combines SMS, voice, mobile web, and access to mobile apps, bridging users from offline to online.
Costolo also clarifies that Twitter is not just about tweeting. “Twitter helps to connect with people across the world, and not just about putting out a tweet.” He states one doesn’t have to tweet to be a massive Twitter user, but it is about ‘knowing what’s going on in the world right now.’
While Twitter hasn’t grown in numbers compared to other social platforms like Facebook, WhatsApp or LinkedIn, Costolo told media the success of Twitter lies in the way its users are engaged with the platform. “Once a topic is discussed on Twitter it starts influencing people and turns into a big story,” he states.
The company sees massive opportunities in mobile services and including live broadcasting on mobile. It also plans to invest in native mobile video as a big way to earn revenues. Costolo told media, “It will change everything from the way people consume media to how they watch programs.”
Costolo said while Twitter is still in early stages in India in terms of revenue generation, it now plans to focus on user growth and experience, and then look for more business in the country.
- Altaf Halde Steps Down; Kaspersky Lab Appoints New GM
- The 10 Best Companies For Women In India
- Delving Into The ABC Of Cyber Security
- Telecom Consolidation: Tata Tele Merges With Airtel
- IoT Knowledge Gaps Exist In Consumer Product Industry
- Ola Vs Uber And The Battle Of Dominance In India
- Facebook India MD Umang Bedi Resigns
- AMD Plans Expansion In India, To Hire 500 Engineers: Report
- By 2020, Half Of Content Viewing Will Be Mobile: Study
- Perks@Croma: An Experiment In Buzz Marketing