UIDAI May Soon Enable Aadhaar On Smartphones
The country’s public policy and governance is heading towards a progressive step by incorporating technology and UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) has decided to make smartphone Aadhaar enabled.
According to report published by EconomicTimes, Ajay Bhushan Pandey, CEO of UIDAI is said have had discussions with senior executives of smartphone-makers Apple, Samsung, Google, Microsoft and Micromax as well as iSPIRT to help enable smartphones as one-stop instrument for instant identity authentication to avail government services linked to Aadhaar.
As per the reports, the UIDAI initiative has been well received by the smartphone makers who are yet to have internal discussions within their respective companies to further this initiative.
UIDAI plans to have encrypted UIDAI keys on smartphones which will be connected to the Aadhaar server. This would enable secure transaction, eliminating the possibility of a data breach. The server connection will then process the instant fingerprint and iris authentication. Most smartphones have inbuilt fingerprint and iris recognition features to ensure the security of personal data.
UIDAI Chief Operating Officer Pandey has said that the biometric information can be encrypted by a UIDAI key at the chip level in smartphones, therefore securing it from being accessed to decrypt and reuse the information, by anyone apart from the Aadhaar server to monitor the data. This has been a key point in the discussion which was held on the 27th of July.
“Nearly 104 crore Indians have Aadhaar and almost 40 crore have smartphones. Every agency requires authentication via Aadhaar. If people don’t need to go to any office to authenticate their identity and get government services, and if they are able to do so through their mobile phones, this can be the big gamechanger,” said Pandey according to Economic Times.
- Multi-Factor Authentication Can Mitigate Password Risks: Study
- Scalable, Secure Govt Data Centers For Online Citizen Services
- Global Device Shipments To See Flat Growth This Year: Gartner
- Making Communication Convenient for Rural India
- Xiaomi Continues To Rule India's Smartphone Market
- India’s 4G Feature Phone Segment To Touch 40 Mn: Report
- Users Wary Of Making Purchases Through Smartwatches: Report
- Feature Phones Now One Of Best Diwali Gifts
- Adobe Announces Aadhaar Integration in Adobe Sign
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Sep18-23)