Web 2.0 in Enterprises - Boon or Bane?
Web2.0 platform allows easy sharing of information, and is a dynamic source of information. However, access to such sites is concern for security since an organization’s internal data can be easily exposed. Also, interactive features make these sites susceptible to malware.
While on the one hand, social networking sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter are backed by employees to reach out to the target audience, CIOs and CISO are yet to see the benefits of giving access to such low secured sites.
Talking to CXOtoday, Manish Bansal, regional marketing manager (SAAR) of Websense, said that enterprises which give access to Web2.0 sites need constant monitoring on data exposed. He said that a recent IT-Act amendment makes the enterprise collating the data responsible for any aberration of secured data loss. Before the amendment, the IT-service providers and vendors were prosecuted equally while mitigating the data loss penalty.
Surendra Singh, region director, SAARC, Websense, said enterprises by and large give access to Web 2.0 sites. This is because, enterprises want their employees to work in a non-restricted ambience, a trust building experience for both.
However, the risk vulnerability of data loss in such platforms is high and the liable amount by enterprises incase of data leak is proportional to the number of records exposed. "Data stealing in matured economy is very seriously dealt unlike in India", said he.
Access to Web 2.0 sites is pivotal to growth of enterprises business but is more prone to security risks of malware, and virus injection due its technical architectural design. "Enterprises spending in security are growing 23-25% YoY," said he.
Finally, when asked about Microsoft’s yet to launched free-antivirus software, ‘Morro’, that offers protection again malware and virus, Singh said, "Microsoft is a great brand name - but an enterprise-security needs a strong maturity, which Microsoft lags in this space."
- Conversational AI: Driving The Next Generation Customer Experience
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Nov 6-11)
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Oct 30-Nov 3)
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Oct 16-20)
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Oct 9-13)
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Oct 2-6)
- Keysight Gears Up For 5G, High-Speed Datacenters In India
- 19 Milestones On Google's 19th Birthday
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today (Sep18-23)
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXOToday (Sept 11-15)