Why Many Companies Are Still Using Obsolete Devices
According to the Network Barometer Report 2014 released by Dimension Data, the percentage of aging and obsolete devices in today’s corporate networks around the globe is at its highest in six years, signaling that the global financial crisis of recent years may still have a lingering effect today. More than 51% of all devices assessed are now aging or obsolete. In addition, 27% of all devices are now ‘later’ in their product lifecycle and at the point where the vendor begins to reduce support. Interestingly, the Americas included the lowest percentage of aging and obsolete devices (44%) out of any region worldwide.
Raoul Tecala, Dimension Data’s Business Development Director for Networking said, “Over the past few years, we’ve seen the proportion of aging and obsolete devices steadily increase, and the conventional assumption was that a technology refresh cycle was imminent. However, our data reveals that organizations are sweating their network assets for longer than expected.”
Tecala says there are three main drivers behind this trend. Firstly, following the economic crisis, organizations are keeping a sustained focus on cost savings – particularly reduced capex budgets. Secondly, there is growing availability and uptake of as-a-service ICT consumption models, which reduces the need for organizations to invest in their own infrastructure. Finally, the advent of programmable, software-defined networks (SDNs) may be causing organizations to ‘wait and see’ before selecting and implementing new technology, suggests the report.
“We expect that growth in cloud computing, mobility and the number of connected ‘things’ will put additional strain on the network and that clients will have to re-look at their network architecture, not the individual devices,” explains Tecala.
- How Cisco Is Speeding Up Network Innovation
- Five Key Takeaways From Cisco India Summit 2018
- Govt Projects To Drive India's Networking Market: IDC
- 5 Reasons For Cos To Use Business Centres For Office Spaces
- Unlocking The Business Value Of Internet of Things [Infographic]
- Six Focus Areas For Business Success
- Integrated IT Systems To See Large-Scale Adoption In India: Gartner
- Digisol Will Continue To Promote “Make in India”
- How Marketers Can Gain From Mobile-Social Strategy
- Weekly Rewind: Top 10 Stories On CXO Today [Dec 19-24]