Wipro to Invest in Open Source Technologies, Practices
The rapid pace of adoption of Open Source software and practices led by advancements in analytics, cloud computing and the Internet of Things (IoT) have propelled Open Source into a core strategic technology asset for enterprises across the globe. Wipro has recently set up an Open Source Practice under its Business Application Services division to address this rising demand. The practice will channelize the earmarked investments towards driving growth and building industry leadership in this area, says the company.
While announcing its new open source initiative, Wipro officials say that the practice will help our customers build Open Source platforms that enable online services on a massive scale, big data platforms for batch as well as real-time streaming data, and integrated management fabrics, at beneficial price points. In addition, it will focus on applications including mobile frameworks, infrastructure including databases and OS, virtualization, cloud technologies, SDN etc and Internet of Things (IoT) as well as hardware and testing. In the product engineering space, licensable IP blocks will help shrink product development timelines for the consumer, automotive and networking market segments.
The practice will spearhead multiple initiatives to build solutions, collaborate with key players and foster innovation in the Open Source domain,” said Bhanumurthy BM, Chief Executive, Application Services & Strategic Alliances, Wipro Limited. He added that the company is also building a team of skilled personnel, including world-class open source industry veterans and community experts and is investing in building innovation labs to showcase industry solutions, real world integrations and emerging technologies.
“We believe we have the strategy and technology depth to become the primary Open Source partner for global enterprises,” said Krishnakumar N Menon, VP, Business Application Solutions & Open Source Initiative, Wipro Limited. He added that the company has recently hired an industry leader, Andrew Aitken, founder of the industry’s first strategic consultancy think-tank on Open Source, and a recognized expert on strategies for its commercialization.
- The Digital Messiah: Inside Accenture's Innovation Hub
- Edge Computing Drives Internet Of Thing's Growth: Study
- Indus OS To Become Default Platform For Internet Content: CTO
- How Businesses Can Generate Insights From IOT Devices
- India's Mobile Data Traffic To Grow 5x By 2023: Report
- People Analytics Drives Strong Business Outcomes: Study
- Data Science: A Success Mantra For Business Optimization
- AI, IoT Enhancing Video Surveillance Capabilities
- Businesses Speed Up Adoption of Augmented Analytics Tools
- Embracing Zen In Business To Be Flexible and Innovative