x86 servers still going strong in Indian market
The overall server market in India witnessed a growth of 10 percent year on year, with x86 being a key contributor of growth in terms of units in the market. This was revealed in IDC’s Server Tracker for Q1 2013, which included several vendors like HP, IBM, Fujitsu and HCL. This strong presence is due to strong server unit shipments and the revenue generated through channel and direct sales across India.
“In contrast, the non-x86 market saw a decline of 35 percent. A large number of deals, continuingly being driven by various government projects and large corporate investments, have contributed to the growth of this sector,” said Janmaijai Dhyani, server market analyst.
Despite the decline in the overall non-x86 market, HP saw growth in their Non-x86 server market year on year. This was primarily because server refresh contracts that were being kept on hold last year were seen coming through. IDC observed this pattern in various key verticals including banking, manufacturing and communications and media.
In India, IBM continued to lead the x86 market in Q1 2013 with revenue share of 31.1 percent, followed by HP with a share of 29.2 percent and Dell with a share of 18.2 percent.
“Special projects in the government space continue to be a key staple in the server market space, this momentum in the special projects in government and BFSI verticals have resulted in sequential growth in Q1 2013. However, the run-rate demand from enterprises will stay affected by macro-economic pressures, which remains weak,” said Venu Reddy, Research Director, IDC.
- Dell EMC's Sandeep Bhambure Joins Veeam As MD For India And SAARC
- Security Flaws Threaten Virtually All PCs, Phones
- Endpoint, Servers, Cloud Are All WinMagic's Forte: COO
- Dell EMC Looks At $26 Bn India Market, Focuses On JAM
- Dell Veteran Sameer Garde Joins Cisco As President
- Malware Targeting Linux On The Rise, Shows Study
- Flash: An Enabler For IT Transformation In India
- Atos, Dell EMC Team Up To Simplify IoT Challenges
- Dell EMC To Simplify Enterprise IoT Deployments
- Red Hat On An Expansion Spree In India