Xiaomi Almost At Par With Samsung In Smartphone Segment
Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi is emerging as one of the top players in this extremely competitive Indian smartphone market. And it now almost rubbing shoulders with Samsung, being only 0.5 percent behind the Korean giant which is ruling the market since March 2012.
The quarter also witnessed the return of Nokia for the top spot in the featurephone segment, with the brand made by HMD Global has booked the 4th spot for itself, coming close behind Micromax, according to Counterpoint data. “Xiaomi had a 22.3% share in the quarter ended September, while Samsung had a 22.8% share by volumes,” Tarun Pathak, associate director at the Hong Kong-based research firm told ET. adding that the brand grew at a blistering pace of 292% on-year, on the back of its Redmi Note 4 model which is the best-selling model since January this year.
Xioami started its jouney in India in July 2014.The country is the company’s largest market outside mainland China. Given its affordable range of phones, it has done all in the competition.
Undoutedly, the sales of Chinese smartphones are on the rise due to the growing acceptance of brands like Vivo, Oppo, Huawei, Xiaomi and Lenovo. Also these smartphones comes with decent specifications and reasonable pricing making them well accepted in the value-conscious market of India.
This success drive of the Chinese vendors on the Indian soil has added to the woes of the market of home-bred companies including Micromax, Intex, Lava, Karbonn and LYF.
Vivo has taken the third slot in the segment, for the quarter ended September, with 9.5 percent share as it grew 121 percent by volumes on-year, while those of Oppo went up by 117 percent, also getting it among the top five.
Xiaomi entered the Indian market selling through online platform but its sale sore high with its offline entry with partners and through its own Mi Home stores.
- Here's How Tambo Is Bridging India's Mobility Gap
- Businesses Speed Up Adoption of Augmented Analytics Tools
- India's Smartphone Market To See Double-Digit Growth In 2018: IDC
- Making Communication Convenient for Rural India
- Why AWS Is A Growth Engine For Indian Businesses
- Tim Cook Wants A Bigger Slice Of Apple Pie From India
- The Perils Of Ignoring Mobile App Security
- Xiaomi Continues To Rule India's Smartphone Market
- AI Business Value to Reach $1.2 Tn in 2018: Gartner
- India’s 4G Feature Phone Segment To Touch 40 Mn: Report