The digital media is filled with competitive brands trying to attract their target customers through a multi-pronged digital marketing approach. Let’s understand some relevant strategies that will help you evolve your D2C brand into being a preferred, people’s brand
Over the past decade, Direct to Customer or D2C brands globally have been striving to pave their expansion path on digital media. As consumers spend the majority of their time online; scrolling and consuming tonnes of data throughout the day, they seldom remember the granular details of everything that they watch. With so much free and paid content available to prospective consumers on the internet, D2C brands cannot just list their products and sit back thinking that the consumer will find them and their revenue clock will keep ticking.
The competition is fierce across industries to induce brand recall among consumers online. To create a monumental D2C brand, their marketing brains need to up their ante in excelling at the recipe of optimal digital marketing. The recipe comprises diversified techniques that complement each other in a bid to help the brand in garnering more leads/ consumers, create a better brand image, engage with the consumer continuously, increase revenue, etc.
Here are 9 strategic digital marketing techniques that will help any D2C brand to grow by leaps and bounds.
- Generate and Nurture leads: By knowing your customer’s specific needs, you will be able to deliver personalized products/ services and expand your brand-loyal community. It boils down to the need to attract and nurture prospective leads to convert them into invaluable customers by knowing their needs. Focus on optimizing the website for the search engine with relevant keywords to attract the target audience by ranking on the top results of the Search Engine Results Page. Engage in Pay per click (PPC) Ads to garner the lead’s basic information. Live chats on websites or search engines help convert interested leads into customers in real time.
- Create personas for precise targeting: Once you attain a sizeable lot of data on different consumers, create personas of people reacting to your marketing activities in a specific manner. This will help you reach them with your product through a customized approach with a high rate of turnout. For example, if you are marketing wellness products to an age group of 30-40 years, you must know their diet, fitness regime, and which online medium they spend their most time on. A 30-year-old person might have similar traits as showcased by a 37-year-old individual who is also your target customer. Clubbing them together under one persona will help you reach them with one message.
- Email marketing to rule the roost: Reportedly, email marketing has proven to maximize ROI by 36x for businesses by helping the brand to garner effective leads and business in very little time. There are strategic ways to engage with your existing customer base and the leads to convert them into invaluable consumers. Newsletters – A periodic newsletter listing various newly launched products, blog posts, etc., can be used to keep reminding the consumer about your brand. Auto-responders can also provide relevant content and offers to people who wish to learn more about your business. Promotional offers – Your website might be daily listing its products at attractive offers. Maximize the reach of the offers by unveiling promotional offer emails.
- Social media and influencer marketing – Currently trending and providing direct engagement opportunities with the leads, new-age brands have been able to reach large, millennial, and GenZ audiences through various social media channels. Upskilling platforms have been able to engage with several prospects on LinkedIn by hosting certain tech-related masterclasses with industry experts. Likewise, a popular protein supplement brand has been well received with its efforts to reach fitness enthusiasts across India by marketing its products through collaboration with fitness influencers on Instagram.
- Power of Content Marketing – To become a people’s brand, a D2C brand must keep testing the waters of various types of digital marketing channels. Content marketing is one of them. Using podcasts, photos, videos and blog posts, etc., engages your audience with the greater cause that your brand is a part of. If you are a performance sports camera manufacturing company, hosting a skydiving expert in a podcast wherein they give tips to keep in mind while taking the leap of faith does wonders in spreading across the experience enthusiasts globally.
- SEO relevance – People visit search engines for the most granular query that they have and trust the first 2-3 websites that appear on the SERPs. Your business must be agile to be optimized to suit the target consumer’s relevant query. Research your existing and prospective customers’ most searched keywords. Use these keywords in the contents of your website where relevant. Maximize reach to partner websites with backlinking opportunities to maximize visitor traffic to your website.
- Focus on Customer Feedback: As the online ecosystem increasingly becomes democratized, a purse of positive or negative feedback by users can make or break any brand. Just consider your food business is listed on a food aggregator platform, and some users point out on the platform that your choicest ingredients make them revisit your eatery every time. That is enough to attract more new people to visit your eatery as they rely on these reviews. In case of critical feedback, it is best to reach out to the consumer with a way to compensate for their bad experience fairly.
- Adapting new trends – As the nuances in tech are attracting and engaging modern-day customers, brands are turning to the new trends of using AI, AR, chatbots, and Voice Search to be found by the new-age, experience-driven consumers.
- Omni Channel marketing is imperative – As a D2C brand, to stay relevant in the long run by continuously attracting new consumers and engaging existing consumers, it must be equipped with omnichannel marketing expertise. The need to reach the consumer through multiple channels, be it social media, app notifications, emails, chatbots, search engine marketing, content marketing, and much more, has made omnichannel marketing an imperative element of a D2C brand’s digital marketing effort.
Conclusion – Digital Marketing is a vast topic to be covered. There are opportunities at all touchpoints with prospective leads to turn them into invaluable customers as you build your D2C brand fortress. Optimizing your digital marketing efforts is key to staying direction-oriented and profitable in the long run. To wade the untapped waters of digital marketing, Dust Value understands your D2C business’ needs and strategizes robust techniques to help you reap maximum ROI with ample time to focus on your product design and development.
(The author is Mr. Arif Kazi, Founder and managing director of Dust Value and the views expressed in this article are his own)