Press Release

14 million cyberattacks Blocked Every Day – Reveals Latest Report by Indusface AppTrana

Rise in intensity and frequency of DDoS and Bot attacks in the wake of Russia-Ukraine war

Indusfacea TCGF II (Tata Capital) funded, rapidly growing Application Security SaaS company, recently released its State of Application Security Report. The report is the outcome of the analysis of more than 1200 websites and over 12 billion requests that the Indusface AppTrana network received from August 2022 to September 2022. Indusface AppTrana is the only application firewall that takes inputs from application scans and penetration testing to provide real-time protection against application vulnerabilities. With AppTrana, security teams get a single pane of glass view on a number of open application vulnerabilities and the protection status. Indusface calls this risk-based approach where the idea is to do weekly or even daily scans to identify vulnerabilities and patch them on the web application firewall in real-time.

The rapidly changing geo-political scenarios such as the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war have made a significant impact on cybersecurity. Despite their best efforts, cybersecurity teams of enterprises may not be able to plug all vulnerabilities. The top vulnerability categories identified include insecure content security policy, application error message, email address disclosure, and HTML injection, among others.

An average of 40 vulnerabilities per site was found totaling 41K and around 30% were open for more than 180 days. Over 46% of these belonged to companies with revenue between $10 million and $1 billion. About 31% were large enterprises with >$1 Billion in revenue and small business comprised 34% of the segments analyzed. These sites had zero reports of security breaches despite receiving 400 million+ attacks.

Speaking about this, Ashish Tandon – CEO & Co-Founder, of Indusface, said, “The shortage of talent in the cybersecurity space is real. CISOs talk about this all the time and love the managed services component that we offer as part of AppTrana. Even in case of zero-day vulnerabilities, our customers are able to get custom virtual patches on AppTrana near real-time.”

The attacks are not caused by negligence but by factors beyond the control of the company including lack of developer bandwidth, usage of third-party code, and lack of understanding of a code written by someone who is no longer in the company. The surge has also highlighted how every business that is online, is a target for cyber attackers. Cyberattackers keep repeatedly hitting the same targets in a bid to find vulnerabilities that let them break into the systems. For instance, an e-commerce website was the target of a DDoS attack for six days in a row, but App Trana managed to thwart all those attacks.

Cyberattacks are also industry agnostic with BFSI, IT, Retail, and SaaS companies alongside government departments and utility portals being constantly under attack. AppTrana ensures detection and protection of zero-day vulnerabilities, with more than 95% protected by default without the need for any custom virtual patches.

Some other key findings of the study are highlighted below.

  • Overall, 418 million attacks were recorded by the platform in the 30-day observation period.
  • The default configuration of AppTrana blocked 60% of the attacks, whereas the remaining 40% were prevented by on-demand virtual patches. Customers are increasingly taking the “virtual patching” route.
  • 30% of the vulnerabilities were open for more than 180 days
  • 234 websites experienced DDoS attacks but were blocked by AppTrana
  • 695 websites experienced a bot attack but were successfully blocked
  • Most bot attacks originated from Russia

About Indusface:

Indusface is a leading application security SaaS company that secures critical Web, Mobile, and API applications of 3000+ global customers using its award-winning fully managed platform that integrates web application scanner, web application firewall, DDoS, BOT Mitigation, CDN and threat intelligence engine. It was founded in 2012 by Ashish Tandon (CEO), Nandini Tandon (Chief People Officer), and Venkatesh Sundar (CMO).

Indusface has been funded by Tata Capital Growth Fund II, ranked #1 in overall ratings by the 2022 Gartner Peer Insight ‘Voice of Customer’ report for WAF, is “Great Place to Work” certified SaaS product platform, is PCI, ISO27001, Soc2, GDPR certified and has been the recipient of many prestigious startup awards such as the Economic Times Top 25, Nasscom DSCI Top Security Company, Deloitte Asia Top 100, among others.

Leave a Response