Lenovo Provides Customers with an EPYC™ Choice in Data Center Servers
- Lenovo’s new ThinkSystem SR645 and SR665 two-socket server platforms feature powerful AMD EPYC™ performance and I/O connectivity
- Better handle peak database utilization without adding capacity through enhanced transaction processing with 128 CPU cores per system
- Empower high performance virtualized environments with up to 45 percent more memory bandwidth 
Today, Lenovo Data Center Group (DCG) announced the launch of the ThinkSystem SR645 and SR665 two-socket servers featuring enhanced performance and I/O connectivity for higher performance workloads. This announcement follows the release of the ThinkSystem SR635 and SR655 single-socket servers, and expands Lenovo’s server portfolio powered by AMD EPYC™ 7002 Series processors.
Many industries, such as financial services, retail, and manufacturing need faster transaction processing, improved data analytics, and greater grid-computing capacity, while still improving efficiency and total cost of ownership (TCO). To address these needs, Lenovo focuses on delivering open, reliable, and secure infrastructure solutions comprising industry-leading servers, storage, and software. With the addition of the new ThinkSystem SR645 and SR665 servers featuring more CPU cores and a larger memory footprint, Lenovo can help customers accelerate higher performance workloads and improve efficiency.
“Our new Lenovo ThinkSystem servers are designed for workloads such as in-memory databases, advanced analytics, virtualization, and AI”, said Kamran Amini, Vice President and General Manager of Server, Storage and Software Defined Infrastructure, Lenovo Data Center Group. “With the exceptional power, speed and onboard storage of these new servers, our customers have the ability to handle the increasing data requirements of today’s workloads with the scalability to grow with their business.”
The ThinkSystem SR645 and SR665 servers feature:
- Next-generation technologies, including PCIe® 4 support, which doubles I/O bandwidth eliminating potential bottlenecks found in previous generation servers increase networking capabilities essential for I/O intensive applications
- Increased GPU support (up to 8x 75W NVidia T4sTM) allowing customers to efficiently implement video analytics and inference solutions for artificial intelligence
- Increased onboard storage up to 40 2.5” drives or up to 32 NVMe drives allowing for dense software defined storage solutions
The high core counts allow customers to buy fewer servers, saving them rack space and power, in addition to obtaining results faster. These benefits are material in multiple industries:
- In the financial services industry, typically, servers are in a premium space located near the exchanges so saving rack space is paramount
- In retail environments, faster video analytics results can identify high-traffic areas in stores to strategically place products
- In manufacturing, processes rely on efficiency, therefore the ability to quickly process analytics data allows for better quality control and improved throughput. This results in higher yields and better forecasting of warranty needs
- In high performance computing (HPC) environments like scientific research, higher throughput means faster results, yielding earlier discoveries
All products are secured by Lenovo ThinkShield and available through Lenovo TruScale, the pay-for-what-you-use data center. For more information, visit www.lenovoxperience.com.
- “Architecting ultra-low-latency trading systems requires completely rethinking server design,” said Donna Yasay, vice president of Marketing, Data Center Group, at Xilinx. “The new Lenovo SR665 server with AMD EPYC processors and the Xilinx Alveo FPGA-based real-time architecture provides an ideal acceleration platform to deliver unprecedented tick-to-trade performance. We’re excited to offer electronic traders a new level of competitive advantage.”
- “In electronic trading, being first to the market allows you to be top in the order queue. Time is literally money, and in this competitive environment every nanosecond counts. 25ns data in – data out latency for LDA’s 644MHz IP means the impact of the framework is virtually eliminated, allowing our ultra-low latency Raptor FPGA pre-trade risk management solution to reach previously unheard-of latencies,” said William Dallyn, Regional Sales Director and Marketing, Fusion Systems – Raptor Division.
- “The new Lenovo ThinkSystem two-socket servers tap into the power of our 2nd Gen AMD EPYC™ processors to make a meaningful impact in the areas where performance, space and efficiency are critical to business outcomes,” said Dan McNamara, senior vice president and general manager, server business unit, AMD. “With the expansion of its AMD EPYC™-based product line, Lenovo customers now have more options for systems that address today’s demanding enterprise workloads.”
1EPYC™ 7002 series has 8 memory channels, supporting 3200 MHz DIMMs yielding 204.8 GB/s of bandwidth vs. the same class of Intel el Scalable Gen 2 processors with only 6 memory channels and supporting 2933 MHz DIMMs yielding 140.8 GB/s of bandwidth. 204.8 /Scalable Gen 2 processors with only 6 memory channels and supporting 2933 MHz DIMMs yielding 140.8 GB/s of bandwidth. 204.8 /140.8 = 1.454545 140.8 = 1.454545 –1.0 = .45 or 45% more. AMD EPYC has 45% more bandwidth. Class based on industry1.0 = .45 or 45% more. AMD EPYC has 45% more bandwidth. Class based on industry–standard pin standard pin–based (LGA) X86based (LGA) X86processors. ROM–11
AMD, the AMD logo, EPYC, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a US$50 billion Fortune Global 500 company, with 57,000 employees and operating in 180 markets around the world. Focused on a bold vision to deliver smarter technology for all, we are developing world-changing technologies that create a more inclusive, trustworthy and sustainable digital society. By designing, engineering and building the world’s most complete portfolio of smart devices and infrastructure, we are also leading an Intelligent Transformation – to create better experiences and opportunities for millions of customers around the world. To find out more visit https://www.lenovo.com, follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Weibo and read about the latest news via our StoryHub.